Side chaining is the shit.

heh man - it has it)

Db Audioware Sidechain Compressor)

just don't know is it good for metal - i mean side chaining. making the bass sound quiter when kick sounds - is not so good idea... when kick playing 32th notes or even 64th)

Side chaining is done in metal. People commonly use triggers as key inputs on their gates, for the mic'd drum tracks. This way you get more consistent gating, and if you nudge the trigger tracks ahead a bit... lookahead gating!

I mainly want it so that I can side chain gate my room mics off the snare.

I mainly want it so that I can side chain gate my room mics off the snare.

I've read of this trick about a bazillion times here(usually in reference to overheads), but never seen the question that it raises in my mind - what about when you want to keep the attack of the overheads that coincide with the snare hit you're trying to duck out?

@fistula: Yes, exactly.

@Benny: I don't quite see what you mean. It's not about making the snare duck. It's about opening the gate on the room mic whenever the snare is hit.

I very much hope that Nuendo 4 has this functionality, along with greater routing potential.

Oh.. yeah I wasn't sure I was on the same page. I was thinking about situations I'm sure I've seen described where someone is trying to eliminate snare from the OH's.

How would you benefit from sidechaining snare/OHs? I can understand the bass/kick thingy but I don't get the other idea. Sorry if this is n00bish...

How would you benefit from sidechaining snare/OHs? I can understand the bass/kick thingy but I don't get the other idea. Sorry if this is n00bish...

Good question, I have never side chained OH. A room mic i could see you triggering it to go on when the snare hits to get the natural verb of the snare, but OH? I guess I would be a noob too.. Someone enlighten us.

Yeah...

Actually I had to watch a "rap beat" lol in order to figure it out, but I knew since the included compressor, exspander, and limiter came with a key input.

He side chained it with a lo freq sine wave, this of course sounds like shit when done in metal (anyone down for some mud in there kick).

I can see where this wouldn't be a good idea on fast passages unless your doing it with a midi trigger or something.