Sidechaining in CuBase (gate)

ReliXKeepeR

Jan 23, 2006
I know we have discussed sidechaining in Cubase and I have actually managed to make it work for compression, using Compadre.

But what about using sidechain for gating drums? For example I have a trigger and I want to use it to open the gate.
Can you tell me how can I do it and which gate will surely do the job?

I tried using Sonalksis gate, but it looks like I'm missing something.

Yes, Cubase does not support side chaining, unfortunately. Wish somebody over at Steinberg would just fucking add that shit.

~e.a

Yep. Hard to believe that it's still not supported by Steinberg applications. It's been in the top 5 user-requested features for god knows how long.

Haha, tru dat. You would think it would be something fairly simple to implement...but whatever.

~e.a

The only reason I could think that they wouldn't do it is that it would be a fundamental change in the code for the VST protocol or something along similar lines. Otherwise, after 4 major releases of Cubase and 3 for Nuendo you'd think they'd have it sorted by now.

The only reason I could think that they wouldn't do it is that it would be a fundamental change in the code for the VST protocol or something along similar lines. Otherwise, after 4 major releases of Cubase and 3 for Nuendo you'd think they'd have it sorted by now.

yeah and instead of getting that down they just came up with vst3, and it still doesn't work:ill:

Actually you can do some kind of sidechaining in cubase using quadro channel. But I can't manage to use it with a gate.

yeah it's a bummer with no sidechaining in there. you can do stereo side chaining but it istill doen't fix the problem of mono work for snares and bass and stuff
Love Curran:loco:

yeah it's a bummer with no sidechaining in there. you can do stereo side chaining but it istill doen't fix the problem of mono work for snares and bass and stuff
Love Curran:loco:

yeah you can. Just use a stereo imager to move the right channel to the centre.

I know we have discussed sidechaining in Cubase and I have actually managed to make it work for compression, using Compadre.

But what about using sidechain for gating drums? For example I have a trigger and I want to use it to open the gate.
Can you tell me how can I do it and which gate will surely do the job?

I tried using Sonalksis gate, but it looks like I'm missing something.

Take a look at goldengate it has sidechaining built into the plugin. All you have to do is select a plugin instance from the menu as the trigger
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~drumbest/gg.html