Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape

HarmonyDies....

Semi-True
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Enjoy Wow!!! That is the word that explains this album best. I first heard about this band on Centrury Media's website, they said that alot of magiznes described it weird and said "this is toatally &^@*ed up metal." Well is it weird you ask? Well not really weird has creative from the opening song to the end, these three genious Japenese men, will make your eyes open wide. It can't be classified in to a genre at has alot of really cool stuff melody, fucked up keyboards, and weird samples. You can go out and buiy this album now and here something new or you can buy another Morbid Angel clone the choice is yours but I highly suggest you check this out. My personal favourite song is "A Sunset Song." If you like jazz check it out too. My rating would be 9/10:) (Please telll me if you enjoyed the review):D

Your review is good, but check out mine from my web-'zine -

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
10 Super-Sonic Hexes

Sigh is just getting trippier than ever. And that's alright by just about any true acid-eater and classic metal fan, and most definitely by me. The Japanese trio were praised by black metal icon Euronymous early on, gaining them widespread acceptance in the underground scene. Ever since then they've proven their merit with unwavering innovation and originality, obviously tempered from minds of great talent. Sigh have been able to break through the boundaries of black metal and have since opened a secret door to the inner-workings of their most complex imagination, creating a virtual dreamscape just by weaving their pulsating talent and energy into music. Experimental as hell, Sigh's musical ability knows no bounds. The weirder it gets, the more pleased I am to hear them breaks those boundaries. There's a certain sense a victory to it.

"Imaginary Sonicscape" is literally just that, the goal of what they're trying to create from their music, profound and rich. While altogether more metal sounding than say, "Hail, Horror, Hail", this album still does delve at times into the wildest displays of experimental musical passages. This time they're even calling themselves (in the inner cover) "Sigh and the Electric Space Band", and utilizing instruments such as hammonds, minimoogs, vocoders and even a Speak & Spell. But what's most interesting about this album is the assembly of catchy-as-fuck riffing in most of the songs, making it overall more metal sounding. Sigh's highly influenced by '80s thrash and '70s classic rock, and it can show in their music.

Most of the songs are epics composed of around 7 minutes in length. "A Sunset Song" creates a most memorable chorus which repeats "Tear me apart, till I die. Tear me apart, sacrifice. Tear me apart and hear my cry. Tear me apart to kill my pride." then 4:00 minutes in delves into a completely jazzy section sounding of a '70s sitcom and mostly danceable. Opener "Corpsecry - Angelfall", "Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos)" and "Bring Back the Dead" are also demonstrative of super-catchy metal riffing, memorable choruses and epic, emotional music that just makes you feel good. Marijuana and psychedelic drugs are highly recommended as accompaniments to this album.

Check out the review and my site at:
http://www.hellacron.com/Sigh_Imaginary.htm

-'Evil' Vince

Sigh is one of my fave bands.. Imaginary Sonicscape is a great album, though i find "Hail Horror Hail" a tad better.. what a masterpiece!

:loco:

Imaginery Sonicscapes is a great album. It's quite different from their other recent albums (Hail Horror Hail, Dread Dreams), so it's hard for me to decide which one is my favorite. I first heard SIgh three years ago and ever since I'm waiting for their releases with great anticipation. Sigh is definitely one of my favorite bands - I just cannot say which one is their best album (at least when having to choose between the last 3; first 2 albums were nice too, but they can't be compared to more recent work). I think the change did good for the band, since they need to explore new directions for their music with every release, always doing something a bit different. HHH is a masterpiece, but it's hard to surpass this album using the same tricks again. Their last effort is - as usual - stunning. Production is much better than on previous albums (getting better every time!), and Mirai's old-new synths give some of the songs a very rich, fat, 70's-like groovy sound.

It's a shame they're so underestimated (at least where I come from).

I read they're already working on a new album (9 songs are currently being written)... so how come it seems like it's taking them forever? ;)

Not so weird as dreamy-
9/10
(recommended especially for first-time sigh listeners)

Here's what I had to say about this awesome album over at my 'zine;

Hailing from the land of the Rising Sun, Japan’s SIGH simply destroys all metal competition. There’s really no other way to say it, or put it.

You can add as many colorful adjectives or catchy word play that you want, I’m just going to give it to you straight.

Imaginary Sonicscape is this decades most original and creative album. SIGH’s newest efforts do not just evolve the metal music genre, they actually evolve music as a whole.

I’ve never been so enraptured by an album that I’ve actually lost track of time and space both. You can honestly not venture a guess as to what the next beat, riff, lick, sample, genre clash, layer, progression, chord, loop, or voice effect that is going to happen.

The last album I heard that was even close to SIGH’s musical bizzarness was the classic “Angel Dust” by Faith No More. But Imaginary Sonicscape could be described as “Angel Dust” on angel dust.

It’s that bent.

It’s a complete psychedelic trip the center of the sun and back. Not even Candiria in all their fusion experimental metal have reached this height of madness. You could even call SIGH, "Pink Floyd on crack".

SIGH’s sound cannot be easily explained. What you can expect is to become comfortable with the unknown and the unpredictable. Imaginary Sonicscape’s musical contrasts produce some of the most wonderful and varied mental imagery, that you’ll soon forget where you are. They are actual artists, which is a very tough quality to find in today’s music scene.

-----

Spudd