Sign this Petition to Free an Innocent Man

King Richard

Hello there
Mar 23, 2006
Wouldn't you like to know
I saw this on my Twitter feed earlier and thought it was absolutely absurd. Please take a few minutes to sign this petition requesting the Obama administration to put some pressure on the Indonesian government to release a guy sentenced to jail time for questioning the existence of God. Thanks!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN

Call upon the Indonesian government to respect the freedom and dignity of all its citizens and to free Alexander Aan.
Earlier this year, Indonesian civil servant Alexander Aan posted on Facebook that he doubted the existence of God. He was then attacked and beaten by an angry mob, and arrested for blasphemy.

On June 14, Aan was convicted of “disseminating information aimed at inciting religious hatred or hostility,” sentenced to 30 months in prison, and saddled with a large fine. Now many Indonesians are calling for his death.

By punishing Aan, Indonesia is violating its obligations to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which guarantees every person the rights to freedom of belief and expression. We petition the Obama administration to call upon the Indonesian government to immediately release Alexander Aan and improve its protections for religious dissidents and nonbelievers.

Here's the Wikipedia breakdown of the situation as well.

Petitions don't really do shit. Just give this enough publicity to tarnish the reputation of Indonesia. I saw this posted multiple times on r/atheism a while ago.

I'd like to point out that any time a Christian in the US whines about "persecution", they should be forced to read about shit like this. When was the last time one of them had to fear arrest or violence over their beliefs?

That's irrelevant. We all know it's way worse for American Christians when women's employers cover birth control in their health care plans or gay people have rights.

Edit: Or when atheists put up billboards.

I'd like to point out that any time a Christian in the US whines about "persecution", they should be forced to read about shit like this. When was the last time one of them had to fear arrest or violence over their beliefs?

Christians in the west do have it much easier. So do gays and other sub groups. Try being gay or Christian in some of the sub saharan countries etc though(for example). Comparing Indonesia to the west is apples and oranges.

Christians in the west do have it much easier. So do gays and other sub groups. Try being gay or Christian in some of the sub saharan countries etc though(for example). Comparing Indonesia to the west is apples and oranges.

Well that's what I mean. Christians in the US right now are on a huge "we're so persecuted" kick. Pat Robertson claimed that they're as persecuted now as Jews were in Poland during the 30s and 40s.

Hell, try being a Christian out in some Middle Eastern or Asian countries. Then come back here with your SUV plastered in Jesus stickers and cry at me again.

Back on topic: this story really sickens me. Arrested simply for espousing an opinion. It's unbelievable.

Signed, but heavily doubt it'll do anything. You really think Obama is going to go to bat for an atheist? The right would have a field day with it, regardless of the reality of the situation.

Well that's what I mean. Christians in the US right now are on a huge "we're so persecuted" kick. Pat Robertson claimed that they're as persecuted now as Jews were in Poland during the 30s and 40s.

Does anyone actually listen to what he says outside of the midwest? I live on the east coast, and the only people I met who knew who he was thought he was a total idiot.

Hell, try being a Christian out in some Middle Eastern or Asian countries. Then come back here with your SUV plastered in Jesus stickers and cry at me again.

Back on topic: this story really sickens me. Arrested simply for espousing an opinion. It's unbelievable.

Yes. This so fucking true