simultaneously bi-preamping / two preamps into one poweramp

Red Phoenix

Jun 22, 2009
Germany
I want to be more creative with my distortion sound and i want to run another preamp (i think of an e530) in parallel to the 5150 preamp and into the 5150 poweramp but not record one after the other but doing this simultaneously...as live sound if you want.
Is it even possible or did anybody tried that before? Do you see other problems beside phase/latency issues and ground loops? And how could phase issues be solved? Only Little Labs IBP comes to my mind.

Interesting approach. I cannot think of any phase issues unless you put digital gear into the chain. Analog gear does not have any delay whatsoever and should not cause any phase issues.
I'd like to hear the results.

Knowing that powertubes saturate sound, it could act a bit differently than with single preamp. Interesting idea what so ever!

Every filtercircuit changes the phase of the signal. ANd preamps are full of it. Therefore using two different signal paths will cause phase issues.
Just copy a track and apply a filter on one of them..then switch between linear and non-lineaer phase modes in your EQ and you'll hear it. It's the same with analoge.

I'm not sure if its really comparable..but i tried the idea with ampsims^^ Two tracks with the same DI but one with x50 and one with x30...sounds horrible =D
I guess its because the distortion is different so with identical sourcetracks it sounds weird. It only works with different sourcetracks but thats not what i wanted :/