Broodwich's War of the Preamps

Well there is really obvious difference in some of the preamps, so it's not a joke ;)
It would be great if you can really post some waves but, it looks like it wont happen.
So... tell us the secret ;)

very subtle difs, as mentioned before. I listened on not great not bad headphones.

Acoustic Guitar
Neumann KM-84 at the twelfth fret and Audio Technica AT4033 on the sound hole
preamp 1 - crisp, full, but a little quiet.
preamp 2 - bassy, full, very present.
preamp 3 - attack isn't as punchy, kind of bassy.
preamp 4 - quiet, bright.
preamp 5 - distant.

Male Vocals
AKG C414B
preamp 1 - bright
preamp 2 - dark
preamp 3 - dark, bassy,
preamp 4 - distant
preamp 5 - dark

Snare Drum
Shure SM57
preamp 1 - full, punchy.
preamp 2 - noticeable attack
preamp 3 - distant
preamp 4 - full
preamp 5 - decay is too abrubt, kind of bugs my ears

Female Vocals
Manley Reference Tube Microphone
Preamp 1 - sounds present, and full
Preamp 2 - dark, focused.
Preamp 3 - dark, rather dull (at least compared to the other preamps)
Preamp 4 - bright, extremely present
Preamp 5 - distant, but full. dark

Basic Audio Systems preamp shootout????? I have a fellow Columbia College student on the Sneap forum?! Unless this is some freakish coincidence.

By the way, I have the answer key. You're all gonna shit yourselves when you find out which is which.

Basic Audio Systems preamp shootout????? I have a fellow Columbia College student on the Sneap forum?! Unless this is some freakish coincidence.

By the way, I have the answer key. You're all gonna shit yourselves when you find out which is which.
NOICEEEEEEE yeah I'm in the acoustics program. Uzzle gave the ok to post this shit. :lol: I've gotta dig up the answer key I'll probably post it later tonite. Are you a freshman?

NOICEEEEEEE yeah I'm in the acoustics program. Uzzle gave the ok to post this shit. :lol: I've gotta dig up the answer key I'll probably post it later tonite. Are you a freshman?

I suppose I'm a junior - I transferred from a community college so I had quite a few credits already. I've got quite a long way to go still...

Now I'm going to call the RIAA just to spite the man.:heh:

here is what I like:

Acoustic-preamp 5

Male vocal-preamp 4

Snare-preamp5

Female vocal-preamp2

I suppose I'm a junior - I transferred from a community college so I had quite a few credits already. I've got quite a long way to go still...

Now I'm going to call the RIAA just to spite the man.:heh:
I'm lost on the RIAA comment. What, are you gonna turn him in? Watch your ass! :lol:

My personal opinion, I liked the DW the best with the Massenberg in a close second and I liked the Presonus the least. However, I would consider all of these to be very usable.

I liked the Massenberg most and Presonus least as well. But yes, all are fairly useable - I still felt bad for the poor bastards in class who liked the Mackie the most and the Neve the least though. :erk:

I liked the Massenberg most and Presonus least as well. But yes, all are fairly useable - I still felt bad for the poor bastards in class who liked the Mackie the most and the Neve the least though. :erk:
only me and one other guy like the Presonus the least. And like a solid half of the class liked it the best :Smug: Actually I don't pity those dues at all, they can pay absolutely nothing to get their favorite pres! :lol:

I dunno... It just goes to show that preamps don't really make an 'OMFGz0rs SO BIG' type of a difference.

While the Neve sounded the best to me on all counts... I'm not sure if it sounded $7 grand better than the PreSonus, you know?

It looks like DW won 3 of 4 for me.

Thanks for this, Broodwich, it will be great if you post final mix here ;)