Sin City

that Asian bint, Devon Aeoki was good as well ... great cast all around.

for a person that is not into comic books at all, I really enjoyed this flick

Movie of the year by far, followed by Broken Flowers and Sympathy For Lady Vengenance. Its amazing how many things Sin City combines in a perfect way: Violence, Action, Emotion, Black Humor, Blood, Sweat, Tears, Poetry in every single aspect (especially when it comes to castrations)

For futur reference so you can sound really smart, Sin City is a comic book, and the collection of the issues is called a Trade Paperback, not a Graphic Novel. Graphic Novels are not issue collections, but stand alone. BOH!

IOfTheStorm said:
Broken Flowers and Sympathy For Lady Vengenance.

I am so out of touch, I have not even heard of those films.

EDIT: Oh wait, Broken Flowers is the Bill Murray flick. I remember now, but haven't seen it.

KILL TULLY said:
For futur reference so you can sound really smart, Sin City is a comic book, and the collection of the issues is called a Trade Paperback, not a Graphic Novel. Graphic Novels are not issue collections, but stand alone. BOH!

So "graphic novel" = standalone "comic book"?

KILL TULLY said:

Yes and no.

Your definitions are spot-on, but several of the Sin City stories are indeed graphic novels. The 3 stories that comprised the movie however, came from mini-series (2-3 issues each) that eventually were repackaged as yes, Trade Paperbacks.

I'm a Frank Miller fanboy, btw. :D

lizard said:
this is starting to look like a "what is or isn't black metal" debate

Ha ha, good one.

I'm not nearly as gestapo-like about it as say, [cough] Erik :loco:

To ME, black metal was originally simply metal music with a Satanic theme/attitude/imagery/lyrical content/belief. NOWADAYS, black metal has become a style of metal. IMO, of course.

Is anyone else excited about the adaptation of Alan Moore's V For Vendetta? From Hell and The League... sorta sucked, so here's to hoping they'll finally do Moore justice. Terry Gilliam was supposed to do the movie version of Watchmen (the greatest comic of ALL TIME) but somehow it fell through.

markgugs said:
Yes and no.

Your definitions are spot-on, but several of the Sin City stories are indeed graphic novels. The 3 stories that comprised the movie however, came from mini-series (2-3 issues each) that eventually were repackaged as yes, Trade Paperbacks.

I'm a Frank Miller fanboy, btw. :D

Haha, well I was mostly just saying it because some people seem to not want to admit that so many great stories where in fact COMIC BOOKS, and insist on calling them "Graphic Novels" to justify them...or somthing...well, you being a comic fan probobly know what I mean.

KILL TULLY said:
Haha, well I was mostly just saying it because some people seem to not want to admit that so many great stories where in fact COMIC BOOKS, and insist on calling them "Graphic Novels" to justify them...or somthing...well, you being a comic fan probobly know what I mean.

Oh I know exactly what you mean. It's almost as if "graphci novel" makes it ok to the mainstream public or something. Fuck 'em.

*still waiting for The Watchmen movie* :dopey:

Dick Sirloin said:
Terry Gilliam was supposed to do the movie version of Watchmen (the greatest comic of ALL TIME) but somehow it fell through.

Yeah but I think Terry Gilliam would have screwed it up. It would be better off in the hands of David Fincher or Christopher Nolan, etc.

Also, Watchmen at least led to Shyamlan's "Unbreakable" and the pixar flick, "The Incredibles". Both excellent, excellent movies (variations of a theme).

markgugs said:
Oh I know exactly what you mean. It's almost as if "graphci novel" makes it ok to the mainstream public or something. Fuck 'em.

*still waiting for The Watchmen movie* :dopey:

Are they really making one?

Man they better not fuck up V For Vendetta, which it looks like they will.

Do you read 100 Bullets or Walking Dead?