Since nobody has mentioned Forbidden....

They were really good when we played with them at Jaxx for their tour kick-off, but I heard they had gotten much tighter on the road, but I had no idea they were just gonna unload the way they did. It seems they felt like they had something to prove at this festival, and decided to hammer the real progy guys who aren't into this sort of stuff. It was really cool hearing some really rare live tunes, too.

I noticed that some guys showed up just for Forbidden, and then left, since I only noticed for about two hours that weekend. Booking them was a shrewd move, since it expanded the audience for a Saturday. Hell, I'm used to festivals being about the handful of bands I want to see, since I basically made the long drive for four acts, and I don't regret it one bit.

This was Michael's 4th Progpower and he was super stoked for Forbidden and Sanctuary. Being a huge fan of both bands since high school, I still listen to them frequently so he has kind of grown up listening to them. Plus he idolizes Gene Hoglan so seeing him live was a dream for him. I was a few rows back at the edge of the pit watching him and making sure his older brother was ok moshing. Music is a big deal in our family, so we tend to enjoy the same stuff and I have been bringing them to concerts with me since they were both about 8 years old. Its the one thing I will always share with my kids...

Dude, that is so awesome. He was in the tour shirt and knew the words to every song they played. I was giving him high fives and everything, since I was so stoked to see someone his age geeking out on tech thrash. You rule, dude, my old man listened to fucking Tom T Hall. :lol:

I don't know if this is a known fact or not, but Gene Hoglan told me at the signing table that he was going to be on the new Testament album as i told him i kept on getting him confused with being Testament's main drummer. Can't wait :D

@Moose - I salute you, sir!

Hey! I was one of those guys - behind to the left. During Forbidden's first go-round starting in the late '80s I had a five-foot tall girlfriend I used have to stand behind and knock the stagedivers away from, so I had practice. :lol:
Hah ha! I remember you! Much appreciated! :D

I very carefully laid my plans in advance for Forbidden's set. Right before they started, I would hastily leave the concert hall....and scamper up to the VIP Balcony so I could watch the show -- and Gene Hoglan perform -- above and from the side. :worship: :worship:
There are few things in metal that can top watching the Mighty One, the Mountain that Plays*, from a side vantage. I was mesmerized.

Oh, and I guess the spit couldn't reach that far up, either. :D

---
* Yeah, this is a Game of Thrones quip. Tim H. and I have been using it to refer to Gene for years. :)