Since you guys have heard my pop punk mixes, how about something a little heavier?

cvdpoel

Dec 17, 2011
Richmond, VA
www.soundcloud.com
So this is a mix for a band I've been recording for what feels like 10,000 years...

I figured all I've shown you guys are my pop punk mixes, so here's something that's a little heavier! Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, a pretty good mix! Pretty decent bass tone too. If you wanted to get critical the OH's sound like MP3 or some other compressed file format (Not sure what formats sound cloud support). When the drums play by themselves, they sound a little artificial (As there is a lot of separation, like.. an unnatural amount of separation with no context of room or space) - personally I like a bit of room, reflection and bleed as it gives a little more realism to sampled drums (This could even be automated during solo drum sections). Again that's just my taste and other people may agree or disagree, but as I said your mixes are very good.

Again, a pretty good mix! Pretty decent bass tone too. If you wanted to get critical the OH's sound like MP3 or some other compressed file format (Not sure what formats sound cloud support). When the drums play by themselves, they sound a little artificial (As there is a lot of separation, like.. an unnatural amount of separation with no context of room or space) - personally I like a bit of room, reflection and bleed as it gives a little more realism to sampled drums (This could even be automated during solo drum sections). Again that's just my taste and other people may agree or disagree, but as I said your mixes are very good.

Thanks man! Yeah the cymbals are from the WIM kit; I don't like them too much but the band I'm recording loves them. And yeah for this mix I muted the room while I was mixing the rest and forgot to turn it back on haha! I'll update the mix in a bit, but thanks a lot!

As tmitchell said, the drums sound fairly artificial, some 'verb or room could help with that. The drum performance itself is also a bit robotic, especially that hi hat groove around 2 and a half minutes. Overall, the mix is a bit lacking in mids and body, and is a little too accented in the high-end on my monitors.