Singing with Ear Plugs - Live

Skyweaver

Shred or Die !
Jul 9, 2005
Australia
www.luthor.info
Been having a lively debate with another singer, he reckons that if you wear ear plugs you'll always sing flat live.

He is sure that you must have only one ear plug in and the other ear exposed.

This seriously just doesnt work for me, I find that I sing in pitch with both ear plugs in, as I can actually hear myself better in my head.

Anyone got any comments experience ?

I've found that singing with earplugs has solved a number of problems for me. I think it helps out quite bit in situations where the stage monitors aren't that great. I can hear my voice and all the other instruments MUCH better with earplugs. And I don't have ringing ears after a show, which is nice considering I use them for a living.

As far as I'm concerned they are the way to go.

There are two ways to know whether you're in tune or not.

First, you can do what Melissa Cross calls 'singing above the pencil' - basically, using your head as a resonant cavity (as there's plenty of free space up there for the average singer) - and this will allow you to hear yourself very well. I suspect that he's doing this.

Second, you can have the ears blocked so that your voice seems to be 'pushed' there, and then refer to the dampened surrounding noise to determine where you need to be singing - I suspect that you're doing this.

What needs to happen in either case is called 'audiating' - imagining the pitch perfectly an instant before the note comes out, as if you had a piano in your head (might want some Tylenol, making those fit is never fun) playing the notes. Otherwise, you're 'climbing' up to the note and this, while usable on occasion in case of fuckup or for added emphasis on a note, gets very annoying after a while. Doing. That. Every. Note. Is. Like. Accenting. Every. Word. As. If. It. Came. From. The. Heavens. And. Needs. Its. Own. Sentence.

In either case, different people need different things - neither of you should use the other's method if it's not comfortable for you. Hell, just to shut the argument up try recording a sample from the songs live and running them through a tuner to see how much the needle wiggles. Either way, you need to do what allows you to perform better, regardless of what others say (provided you're not just being ignorant, stubborn, and arrogant), and not use that as an excuse for being 'off' in any situation.

Jeff

I sing flat w/ plugs in....I'm sure there is some science but in this case-- I don't care. Once I recognized this I could compensate.
Ultimately, you can learn to adjust just like anything else and it makes more sense to learn to sing w/ plugs than it does to ruin your hearing. Also, as Du8 stated, if you can rely on the plugs hear yourself then you are less reliant on local monitor engineers who can often be less than helpful.

Wearing ear plugs make me sing better in a live or rehearsal space situation. Besides the obvious ear protection I can hear myself a lot better. This means that I can not olny hit the notes a lot better but I can also gauge the amount of attitude and volume needed without having to compete with the Drummer and Amps.