High frequency hearing loss

Derykus

Mar 14, 2011
A couple months ago I could hear up to 16khz on one of those online tone testers. I now cannot really hear 16khz. 15khz sounds as loud as 16khz sounded a couple months ago. I am 21. I wear earplugs if I see live music - maybe once a year at most. I keep my levels as low as possible when monitoring, but sometimes its impossible to not turn up the fader and get into the song. My ears feel like they are clogged up constantly, and I have pretty loud tinnitus in my right ear.

I also sing. I find that singing takes a major toll on my hearing on days that I do sing loudly. Maybe I should quit singing. Even playing an electric guitar unplugged really irritates my ears after a while - I definitely don't plug into my amp much these days. I feel like I should give up music for the sake of my hearing.

Who else has high frequency hearing loss? Is there anything other than turn things down and wear plugs you have found that helps slow the degrading process?

I have hearing problems, issues with more the timbre and shape of a sound (like hearing "ch" as "sh", etc.) Pitch though I actually hear okay. Growing up, I had chronic ear infections and my left ear drum has ruptured twice. Most people's hearing degenerates with age, so that could be part of it. In fact, people tend to lose the upper most and lower most registers of their hearing with age.

If you've had a cold or a sinus infection, that can also effect your hearing. Muffled or no hearing suggests a ruptured eardrum, you would know though if that happened! It also possible you may have a fungal or bacterial infection that could be causing the hearing loss, this could be very possible because of allergies and the polleen season. As a singer, I know when I have a cold or an allergy, my ability to percieve pitch gets a little wonky. Yeast infections in the middle ear are very common and usually idenitifed with occasional itching or discomfort. This can be treated with garlic oil or tea tree oil drops. Regardless though, go to a doctor or an audiologist. Hearing is not something to be fucked with.