Tinnitus and hearing loss?

jamesboyd

andy's bitch
Aug 17, 2003
new zealand
Visit site
hey all,

has anyone suffered hearing loss via loud studio situations,
I've got a bit of ringing in my right ear but had them checked and both ears are the same repsponse wise and apparently just above average compared to others :erk:

andy have you ever had tinnitus?

peace

james

Well, I'm experiencing some 'loss' right now.
Actually, every time I spend a great amount of time recording and mixing it kind of happens. I never put it too loud and always take care of my hearing, but it happens. After spending 7 whole days with non-break music in the head you need a rest.
I feel like my hearing lose a bit of sensitivity (specially low frequencies, believe it or not), and I get pretty sensitive about the high ones (any snare sound now makes my eye blink). And sometimes there's that little ringing.
The interesting part is that there's no phisical damage to my eardrums, it's more psichological. Got tired, need a couple of days to 'recalibrate'.
I keep earplugs in my pockets, you never know.. have to look out to my hearing if I want to work. :)
Cheerz

yeah it's a tough one for sure :ill:

It's really hard not to push your ears more than you should especially when tracking and mixing, the worst is definately when you're the one recording something and your doing it with headphones, because you've got to turn it up quite a bit to record well enough imho.

my ears definately need a rest that's for sure.

peace

james

I've had mild tinnitis.....it's scary.....nothing will be going on and one of your ears will start ringing for no reason. Whether it's realted I don't know, but I startred noticing it for about two months after I had a wicked ear infection. Seems to have totally subsided now but it did scare me. I wear ear plugs prety religiously in playing situations, but I do a lot of live sound so those cheap foam jobs are out of the question (if I expect people to keep hiring me). Anyway, musicians earplugs are the way to go for live shit even though they are fucking expensive. In terms of mixing and tracking--you just have to take breaks and listen at reasonable volumes. Make sure you don't fall into the "gradual volume increase" thing-- You know, you start at 90dB and 4 hours later you're at 110 (slight exageration I hope).

for sure, I'm just going to watch my monitor levels a bit more closely from now on.

thankfully I've only got a mild case of tinnitus in one ear so hopefully it'll disappear like yours did.

peace

james

I play in metal bands since 15 years now and I've been very lucky to have
no damages on my eardrum. During rehearsals I wear those custom made earplugs.
On stage and also in the studio I don't wear them. Kills the feeling and the fall out
during excessive headbaning ;-)
But I wear earplugs all the time when I'm going to clubs or concerts.

While I'm working in a studio enviroment I try to keep the monitoring level on a decent
'music listing' level, maybe a notch above that. Off course sometimes I blast the songs
really loud, but that's just for fun ....

Since your eardrum is a muscle, it needs time to refresh and relax.
After beeing in a loud enviroment I try to put myself about the same amount of time in
a quiet enviroment. For me that worked pretty well so far.
6 hours loudness = 6 hours silence

Since tinnitus is not only a result of damages through loud noise, but also a through
stress, I would recommend to see a doctor right way.
Tinnitus is in that case a form of an heartattack (2 friends of mine suffer from this now).

I think im ok, I was last time I had a check. I suffer when doing long haul flights, with hearing and sinus problems, it usually takes a couple of days to settle down. And I had a moth fly into my ear once which was horrendous, they had to take me to hospital and drown it with olive oil. It was like a dog barking inside my head.

jamesboyd said:
andy have you ever had tinnitus?

Tinnitus is not something that goes away over time, it's there to stay.

egan. said:
've had mild tinnitis.....it's scary.....nothing will be going on and one of your ears will start ringing for no reason. Whether it's realted I don't know, but I startred noticing it for about two months after I had a wicked ear infection.

That was probably just something related to the ear infection, your inner ears get all fucked when infected. If it was tinnitus you'd still have it.

Once a bee got into my ear. :D It was kind of funny, I was just a kid.. it stood there for about 10 minutes and got out by itself.
Oh boy.. there's nothing better than real loud music.. it's a shame that our ears have limits.. i think I'll make a surgery and put some steel ones.
Tinnitus can be a real shit if you don't check - can even make permanent damage.
The "gradual volume increase tendency" is a problem, because you don't usually notice it. Like the frog in the water - warm up the water gradually, and the frog dies in the boiling without noticing.
Always try to keep the output level reasonable - set up a limit that you'll never go through, even if your hearing feel like after some hours.
And when live... earplug the babies. Not while playing, tough. It ruins your headbanging, and those colorful things in your ears don't look metal. :)

Maybe you brits have some weird kind of tinnitus then ;)

BUT "real" tinnitus is when one (or more) of the hairs in the cochlea (?, can't remember what it's called in english) are damaged and constantly vibrate so that impulses are sent to your brain which is perceived as sound. This can never get better (not currently atleast) and that's what i meant.

Impy said:
Tinnitus is not something that goes away over time, it's there to stay.

That was probably just something related to the ear infection, your inner ears get all fucked when infected. If it was tinnitus you'd still have it.
Yes, to be more precise I had the syptoms of tinnitus. It didn't make it suck any less.......

Impy said:
Maybe you brits have some weird kind of tinnitus then ;)

BUT "real" tinnitus is when one (or more) of the hairs in the cochlea (?, can't remember what it's called in english) are damaged and constantly vibrate so that impulses are sent to your brain which is perceived as sound. This can never get better (not currently atleast) and that's what i meant.
Short term tinnitus is when you strain your eyes and after rest they return to normal. Long term is permanent damage like your talking about. Apparently thats only one of many things that can cause it... it can be a ranodm firing of nerves and other things... apparently...

Andy Sneap said:
I think im ok, I was last time I had a check. I suffer when doing long haul flights, with hearing and sinus problems, it usually takes a couple of days to settle down. And I had a moth fly into my ear once which was horrendous, they had to take me to hospital and drown it with olive oil. It was like a dog barking inside my head.

Jesus Christ! That sounds like a complete and utter nightmare. Glad you got it all sorted.

:yell:

Neil K.

Kernon!!! thats it, Im sabotaging your board now.

Hows life old chap??

The best bit was when I was sat in the hospital waiting room, waiting as you do. It'd then move and I'd freak out, everyone was edging away from me thinking I was some sort of drunk

Andy Sneap said:

Hows life old chap??

The best bit was when I was sat in the hospital waiting room, waiting as you do. It'd then move and I'd freak out, everyone was edging away from me thinking I was some sort of drunk

HAHAH! Like a scene from dawn of the dead or something, twitchin' about the ER. FUNNY STUFF! :loco:

Andy Sneap said:

Hows life old chap??

Nice to see you too Andy! Things are going fine -I just finished the new Usurper for Earache which is nice and headbanging! I'm about to move house on October 1st so I'll be in packing hell soon though..

Glad you got that moth out of there. That must have been so bizarre. Lucky it wasn't an earwig :erk:

Neil K.

Maybe that moth made some cleaning in Andy's eardrums.. maybe you felt that you hearing was improved in that ear? :D
Must have been a pretty metal ritual... everybody running away from you while you freak out, rolling on the floor, and that BBZZZZZ noise... :)
Glad yo're ok.