Hearing loss advice?

rebelready

Heavy Metal Member
Sep 30, 2012
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and have been interested in recording and producing my own music. I've noticed though that my left ear can't hear all the low and high frequencies as well as my right ear can, but is not extremely bad. Does this completely destroy the possibilities of making music properly? I was thinking maybe using very low volumes or a plugin to swap the channels from left to right from time to time might help in hearing and understanding the mixes better. Any insights or advice?

UPDATE: Hello all. Thank you for commenting. I found out that resting my ears and listening at low volumes really helps the most.

I also have slightly damaged hearing in my left ear. I suspect its from many years of sitting next to a blaring stage monitor as a drummer. I haven't noticed it effect me or my mixes quite as much as I was afraid of. If you notice a difference, then flip from left to right every once in a while, or ask other people to do some critical listening on your mixes and see if they tell a difference.

But theres a bonus. Since you know you have a problem you can keep track of it. You wont go making drastic changes without thinking "am I making this change because of my hearing, or because it needs it". You'll just know.

I suspect that many AS forum members have some kind of problem with their ears. Many of us have been receiving insane amounts of dB since we were 15 in gigs or rehearsal session. In spite of that, I have listened some of the best mixes ever here... So don't worry. You have to feel self confident about the sounds that you are looking for. Hard work and perseverance.

Working with audio is much more about having the ability to listen than to have good hearing ability. You'll be fine :)

I think it comes with the territory. It has its perks, though. I like asking someone to repeat themselves because I didn't hear them, then not hearing what they said the second time either.