Single coil friendly High Gain amp

shortlived

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2008
Hi, I have a Fender '56 Relic Strat with stock 3 Custom '50s Single-Coils which I love the sound of for non metal stuff but would like to be able to use it for metal as well. I know ideally I should go for a humbucker equiped guitar but still is there a metal amp that can sound powerful and full (as far as it can of course) with single coils?

thank you

If it's a good guitar any decent amp should be great. You'll have to dial it in for the single coils but most good amps will work fine. It really comes down to the voicing of the pickups and how the guitar sounds and is set up. I have a 50's Telecaster with a Duncan Quarter Pounder single coil (which is pretty high output) that sounds excellent for high gain tones.

Mesa Mark 3 or 4 is great.
My MK4 sounds great with my tele.
Check out NOFX for tele with MK3

Anything Egnater. They're GREAT with single coils.

While not exactly a high gain amp, my Egnater Tweaker does work well with single coils - not perfect, but pretty good with hum issues. I do use a Boss NS-2 for general noise suppression.

I was going to say something like the Egnater Armageddon with it's built in ISP Decimator might be a good choice, but another option if your simple looking to cancel out hum with high gain amps would be something like the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger - I mostly play my Les Paul so I've put of buying one, but I've been thinking about it as I've been using my Telecaster more and more.

With something like that you could use any amp you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about something from VHT/Fryette? I love their sound signature but don't know if they can rip like that with single coils too. Also, which model has the most amount of gain?