Sinister's guitar sound on their last two albums?

ProphetofHatred

We boogie on the floor
Dec 17, 2013
I'm absolutely obsessed with the guitar sound on their last two albums. I'm wondering what Marshall amplifier is being used in this video around 3:00, my guess is a DSL100 but I'm not quite sure. Help me out dudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
tough to tell from that video, but it looks like a jcm900 to me

42333651935163471.jpg

dsl100 slays the jcm900 imo. i dont like the 900 much except for the sl-x model, too muddy and overgained in a bad way. the dsl100 is probably the best value (outside of the 8100 anyways, which can be found for $200 or less) there is for a marshall head. dsl100 or jcm2000 (which is the older version of the dsl100) ftw.

Could be an sl-x
42075-1-big.jpg

or a Master Volume MKIII which is very good too but hard to find.

marshall-2100-jcm900-master-volume-1990-1992-246547.jpg

Do you know if these heads can actually sound like that? So what are the major sound differences between a DSL100H and JCM900 SL-X? It's pretty obvious the heads are either being boosted or perhaps modded, there's no way a Marshall head can sound that tight on it's own.

marshalls can definitely sound tight without a boost... this is one of the tightest tones i have ever heard and i am pretty sure it is an unboosted jcm2000 or dsl100:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXIEE-kpq8&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

any amp can sound tight.. a lot of it comes down to playing technique

The Marshall looks like a 900. It also looks like there are at least a couple more heads behind the guy, either a recto or a Peavey Triple-X, then a 5150 or some sort. I wouldn't say the tone makes me think of a Marshall but anything is possible I suppose.

I've recorded there once with my band a long long time ago. I remember that the amps he had then were a Marshall JCM Slash and a Mesa Dual Recto. Cabinet was a Mesa Boogie 4x12 (not sure which type) but anything could be used I guess

I've recorded there once with my band a long long time ago. I remember that the amps he had then were a Marshall JCM Slash and a Mesa Dual Recto. Cabinet was a Mesa Boogie 4x12 (not sure which type) but anything could be used I guess

So does it sound more like a Dual Recto or Marshall? :erk:

Was gonna say the same thing!! Super tight guitars on that album!!

But I thought I heard that it was the Mesa Triaxis?!

very well could be... i just know joe from psycroptic is a huge fan of the jcm2000/dsl100 so i assumed that was what was used. his live tone and the tone on the other albums has been very consistent over the years.

Somehow i also thought Joe's mainly a Triaxis user? I think i never read Marshall and Joe/Psycroptic in the same sentence tbh..../thread hijack

ill be damned he does record with a triaxis. starts talking about gear from the last album around 3:00

he is using marshall heads in alot of the live videos on youtube though. i have also seen him with engl and dual recs. maybe the triaxis is just for the studio?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess he's running the Triaxis rack through the FX return of whatever amp there is available. No need to carry around a 30kg+ rack with a tube poweramp, especially when going by plane.
Btw, those dudes are killer players, and Joe has a great guitar tone. He also seems to be a good mixing engineer, especially their last album sounded pretty killer to me.

i suddenly want the triaxis... it has that marshall-esque breakup in the low end that i love. too bad it is $2K and i already have a kemper :erk:

also, sorry OP. total thread hijack:lol:

ThreadHijackOnecopy.jpg