Sitar effect?

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey gang,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on getting a sitar-like effect out of an electric 6 string. I'm currently working on a track that has a very middle-eastern flavour to it & a sitar effect might work well.

-0z-

Oz - loosen your strings then do the other stuff that's been mentioned. Or use the plugins/synth. Haven't heard those yet.

You could always just buy a Coral. There are some cheaper clones out there, too.

Yeah, to get the buzzy sound it can help to either loosen the strings and play the whole thing higher, or (if you can be arsed) lower the action until you start getting fret buzz (though it doesn't necessarily sound all that nice on a guitar). Sitars have drone strings too, so adding a track under the main part with just the root note played in the same rhythm can sound nice.

I've got quite a nice sitar SoundFont somewhere - you need to muck about with it to get it sounding more natural, but it's a good starting point.

Steve

de4b_1.JPG

Dunno how good it is though.

I've heard of bands taking paper clips and clipping them on each string towards the bridge, just kinda hanging on each string. This adds to the buzzy, high end sound and kills a bit of the sustain to give regular electrics a sitar "flavor". I tried it once and it definitely gave the lines I played a more exotic feel, but whether or not it was like a sitar I couldn't say. And, it could get noisy unless you were real controlled during tracking. Oh yeah, playing near the bridge helps, too.