Vocal Build up Effect -- eg. For the Fallen Dreams - Joey Sturgis style ??

Brady k

Punish Them
just wondering how joey does the vocal build up effect used in numerous for the fallen dreams tracks , and sorry if this has already been asked, but i look through the forum and couldn't find a simlar post,

so joey,.. if you would mind sharing what you do to make the build up effect so massive ,, i would appreciate it very much.. i am a huge fan of your work !

if anyone else knows i would really appreciate it !!

thanks again guys!

www.myspace.com/punishthemmetal

Not sure exactly what you are referring to but I think what you want is this...

Take the vocal part, reverse it, add a ridiculous amount of huge reverb, reverse it again and toss that clip on a new track, chop it where the actual vocal part starts so all you have is the reverse reverb swell and then the actual vocal part comes in after it.

This mix sucks but check the part at about 2:17, is that what you mean? http://adamwathan.com/mixes/chokehold aug30 1.mp3

Take the vocal part, reverse it, add a ridiculous amount of huge reverb, reverse it again and toss that clip on a new track, chop it where the actual vocal part starts so all you have is the reverse reverb swell and then the actual vocal part comes in after it.

This mix sucks but check the part at about 2:17, is that what you mean? http://adamwathan.com/mixes/chokehold aug30 1.mp3

sorry by the poor english, but i want to congratulate you about your work, i really liked the effect on 2:17, it means natural to me, i liked the song, the emphasis on guitars, and effects, good work!

that's exactly what he was referring to, except if you were joey, you would do that at least 2 times per song on the vocals, and approximately 3-68 times on the snare drum. I love his recordings, and I love FTFD, but come on dude. lay off the reverse reverb. haha. I feel like I'm over using it when I do that on more than 2 or 3 songs on one album!

I feel like I'm over using it when I do that on more than 2 or 3 songs on one album!

same here.

If joey's defense, he somehow makes it work. It seems like it's all just part of the production's "bigger picture" to him, so every single one of the reverse verb swells just flow well with the music. Instead of making them the main focus of the particular part(like you or i do), he just uses them as accents.

At least that's how i see it. He may have a totally different opinion.

same here.

If joey's defense, he somehow makes it work. It seems like it's all just part of the production's "bigger picture" to him, so every single one of the reverse verb swells just flow well with the music. Instead of making them the main focus of the particular part(like you or i do), he just uses them as accents.

At least that's how i see it. He may have a totally different opinion.

true. I do agree with you on that.

fuck dude that was a clever reverse technique you used! im stealing that!!!!! i've heard it before in recordings but it just never clicked in me to figure it out before. nice one mate!

when you say huge reverb do you mean a huge hall reverb?

Yeah that effect is cool. For The Fallen Dreams are amazing guys, I knew them waaay before they got big as i'm from Lansing, Michigan. They deff grew a lot and are just superb

fuck dude that was a clever reverse technique you used! im stealing that!!!!! i've heard it before in recordings but it just never clicked in me to figure it out before. nice one mate!

when you say huge reverb do you mean a huge hall reverb?

On that clip I just used Freeverb, set the room size to huge as fuck and cranked the wet way up. When I say huge reverb I just mean like a LOT of reverb. You need TONS of LOUD trailing verb to get that swell sounding big when you reverse it.

i just tried this without any luck. do you just use like the first 1 second of the vocal part your going into? also do i cant get the reversing thing down. do you reverse the clip, add the reverb, "flatten" the audio file so the reverb is stuck in, then reverse it again? otherwise i wouldnt see the point of reversing it in the first place lol the one at 2:17 sounds rlly good

You take a 2 second scream that holds out a note, fade it out, add in a few seconds of silence, add in a shit load of echo and reverb with a ton of stereo width, reverse it, and then delete the last 100-200 ms.

lmao are you talking about the snare or the vocals? i know the snare has quite a bit but i added that for the breakdown, but the vocals have wayyy too much reverb if thats what your talkin about haha i just threw it together real quick