Skelator

MaxWolf9

The Unshaven
Feb 16, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
www.myspace.com
I saw the bulletin you guys posted on MySpace about an upcoming show, and noticed that one of the bands you're playing with is called Skelator. I thought to myself, "Skelator? Like, as in the He-Man cartoon? I gotta check this out." So I pulled up both their MySpace page and their regular Internet page, listened to some sample tracks, and found myself suitably impressed.

In particular, their vocalist has a truly admirable pair of power metal lungs. That guy can hit some serious high notes, can't he?

Are you guys familiar with Skelator's members, since you play similar metal styles and live in the same general area? I was wondering if you guys were just randomly paired together for this show by whoever was running it, or if you had a hand in the selection.

And lastly, what do you think of Skelator's style and sound. I admit their whole schtick about following Skelator as a god of some kind is a little campy and over the top, but the music itself is solid power metal - hell, the vocalist almost sounds like Kai Hansen!

I actually selected the bands and put the bill together myself. I have yet to see Skelator live but their name has been tossed around the local scene a little bit and I listened to their music. I don't really think of them as power metal, but more just traditional old-school heavy metal.

The bass player actually posts here once in awhile (DoomsdayZach) although he just recently became the bass player so that is more of a coincidence since we already knew him!

Anyway, I have been wanting to put together a bill with more traditionally influenced bands for awhile and most of the metal bands here are of the death/black/extreme metal variety. I am into all that, but I just wanted to put a bill together like this. Actually we usually end up playing with bands that aren't really even metal. The Lakepointe was pretty cool about letting me choose the line-up since they know me and we have played there before.

The other band (who you may want to check out) is Fallen Angels. They are pretty much classic thrash. I have known most of those guys for awhile and have talked with them long ago about doing a show together. Rob (Deathiscertain), one of the guitarists (he's actually in several local bands), has posted here a few times.

The timing for this show turned out to be critical because it will likely be Skelator's last show for awhile since they are losing their current drummer. They are heading over to Germany soon to play the Swordbrother's Festival and will do maybe one or two shows here after that. Also, Fallen Angel's has been on hiatus for a long while and it will be their first show back.

So yeah, some good metal bands and if you were in Seattle I'd say don't miss it because line-ups of this kind rarely happen around here.

And lastly, what do you think of Skelator's style and sound. I admit their whole schtick about following Skelator as a god of some kind is a little campy and over the top, but the music itself is solid power metal - hell, the vocalist almost sounds like Kai Hansen!

Yep, new bassist of Skelator here :D I wanted to address this line in particular...

but first off, fucking huge thanks for checking the stuff out! :headbang:

Skelator is a bit campy. We all love the true metal cheese (think Manowar minus the loin cloths) so it's definitely a part of the whole point of the band. We just want to play some metal and have a great time, but the songs range from lyrics based on true metal and killing posers to vikings and fantasy literature (especially Michael Moorcock). It's fun as hell :D

And Jason is a really, really great vocalist on those recordings, but those are absolutely NOTHING compared to him live. I say this not just as someone in the band, but someone who gets to practice with him and see him in action a few times a week, he never fails to completely impress me with his vocals. And it's funny you say he sounds a bit like Kai, because just last week i made a comment about how he sounded a bit like kai on a song and he busted into a perfect Kai Hansen impression. He can do it pretty damned well, so we're gonna have to do a Gamma Ray cover at some point :lol:

As for "power metal" comment, we've got a base of true heavy metal (priest, manowar, maiden), but we throw in some power metal elements and some thrash elements.

And finally, on a personal note, i've never had so much fun as i have playing in skelator :kickass:

Oh yeah, it went really well.

l_2917909fa3f4d965ef85d3f9c833c34d.jpg

There's a bunch of pics n' shit on my myspace and on the swordbrothers site (link in my sig)