Skin

holy shit guys.... you guys are pressing too hard....

You're putting too much pressure on tha finger tips.... most of tha pressure should be on tha thumb, which is on tha back and does not typically touch tha strings....

I've been playing guitar for 13 years, often for hours at a time and I've actually got very soft calluses.... in fact you can barely tell that they're callussed at all....

I dunno, there's no right way to do things I suppose, maybe I just have lighter touch than some.... Tha only times I've ever cut my fingers playing guitar was on my right hand playing fingerstyle....

It's all good though.... lil bit of Super Glue on I'm all patched up.... :headbang:

I don't practice enough to do damage to myself while playing, but my fingertips have gotten poked with the ends of the smaller strings (when I change them), and for some reason that hurts like a bitch.

I've gotten poked while changing strings. DAMN that hurts!

It's still a mystery to me how you guys cut yourself. I've played for 8 years, and do a good deal of fingerpicking/tapping, and my callusses aren't that hard, but I've never cut myself. You've gotta be pressing too hard or something - that just shouldn't happen.