• Slash

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Kirk Hammett

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I love both! :D

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I hate both! :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a moron, and have heard of neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Well, who is your favourite/do you think is a better guitarist? I have always thought Kirk Hammett by a long mile, and still do, but I was listening to GNR the other day, and found Slash's playing to be more enjoyable than I remember. Still, Kirk's playing for me. :)

Slash rocks the hizouse!! His solos are brilliant, and his one for Sweet Child O' Mine is one of the all-time greats. He also has probably the most distinctive sound since Hendrix.

I was expecting Slash to win, thats why I started the poll, to see how many people agree with me. :)

Slash does have stacks of feeling, but I think Kirk is technically better, and also has heaps of feeling in the right places, and I just enjoy Kirk's more. Slash is awesome though. :)

Kirk by a mile :) The solos for One, Creeping Death and Fade To Black in particular would get him over the line but thats leaving out The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Battery or Trapped Under Ice :headbang:

Slashs solos are cool though too, but Kirks are much better IMHO.

Slash by a mile for me.... although Kirk's solos on the Black album are awesome and definitely as good/better than alot of Slash's stuff. However that's the only album where he showed that he could write a good solo I think apart from a few early songs like Fade To Black and Sanitarium.

So it's Slash for me, especially since Sweet Child O Mine is among the greatest guitar solos EVER. :headbang:

I tend to agree with Koichi and Blitzy - Slash's playing has incredible feeling, but Kirk is a technically better player. I like them both too much to split them. Slash reminds me a bit of Jimmy Page's playing, ie. he just plays the first thing that comes into his head. Kirk's solos sound a lot more thought out.

Goreripper said:
Kirk's solos sound a lot more thought out.

hmmm... I totally disagree.

Well, what I mean is... they both sound like they play off of the top of their heads, but I think Slash does a much better job of it. Hammett is one of the most overrated players ever, IMO - very tasteless, poor choice of notes and sloppy, especially live from what I have heard.

I prefer Slash .... mainly coz it is more common for me to hear a Kirk solo and go "he uses that little cliche in at least 3 other songs" more often than I do with Slash.

I believe the term is "repetitive".

Then again - that might have something to do with the fact that I listen to a lot more Metallica than GnR :)

Slash purely because his solos seem to add feeling to a song, look at Sweet child 'o mine, November Rain Civil War so on so forth...where as Kirk just jams in in there to be in there in most of Metallica's songs, Except for the Instrumental on RTL MOP and AJFA but still Slash is better :D