Slate Chinas

ok great thanks aaron.. that china sounds great... kinda funny that the mics they recorded the sound sample with are phasing slightly.. but anyway.. keep the actual sound samples coming... its pretty easy for me to match a sound.

tbh the SSD3.0 china(s) aren't all that bad....better than the addictive drums one for sure!

the thing is, i found the big china to be completely useless, way too dark and low pitched. the small china however sounds cool to me, once you take some of the highs out.

edit: regarding china samples, as someone already said, the china on behemoth's the apostasy sounds WICKED.

i also like the one of augury - concealed.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The kind of chinas I really dig and go for would be something like on this track:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ims89OiP1Ro&fmt=18[/ame]

1:18 (in quarter notes, there's other cymbals alternating), and then at 1:44 when the vocals kick in.

It's a DFHS china, a Sabian of some sorts... will have to look up exactly what it is sometime and post that, as I can't find an online just of the older DFHS cymbals.

One thing that really concerns me, though, is the ease of you slapping another cymbal into the pack... this leads me to believe the cymbals are most definitely spot-mic'd or mic'd with a single mic, which just is not at all going to produce the kind of OH sound I expect. You really *need* that stereo pair over a set of cymbals to get the feeling and sound right. IIRC, you said the upcoming metal kits were done like this, in which case I cannot wait to try them.

here is three clips of the same little riff using the Jerry Lyons grooves.. the second half of the clip has a china.. there are three for you to hear, lemme know if you dig any of em:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ssdchina1.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ssdchina2.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ssdchina3.mp3
I liked the 3rd one, the other ones didn't sound like chinas to me.
This is the type of china I like, I made it quick with Superior Drummer 2 + The Metal Foundry: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1643345/china2 mp3.mp3

Hi DSS3, the ease of adding a china is because it has one articulation unlike a hi hat which has twenty two! I'd hardly say micing a china with a vintage C12 mixed with a Schoeps M222 with Neuman U67s in the NRG studio A to a piece of 2 inch tape should be called "spot miced". Calling it the best way to use $90,000 worth of gear to record a china sounds like a better spin on it.

Hi DSS3, the ease of adding a china is because it has one articulation unlike a hi hat which has twenty two! I'd hardly say micing a china with a vintage C12 mixed with a Schoeps M222 with Neuman U67s in the NRG studio A to a piece of 2 inch tape should be called "spot miced". Calling it the best way to use $90,000 worth of gear to record a china sounds like a better spin on it.

It still gives a way, way different sound than a stereo pair of OH mics with a cymbal array underneath, and room mics based on micing up a full kit, not just a cymbal.

Maybe we just have different theories on sampling a drum kit... I don't understand why anyone would do anything but mic up a kit like they were going to record it, sample the pieces from every mic, and use those. That is, without a doubt, going to get the most realistic sounds out of a sampled kit.

actually DSS3, we do use stereo pairs of room mics... and if you want to get philisophical, the best way to capture how a drum REALLY sounds is one good mic about ten feet in front of the kit. This will sound like a real drumkit... however we are all now used to the pseudo stereo ultra wide modern sound. Having said that, I've gotten more then a few PMs from guys who heard the above and said the cymbals and overall realism of the kit sound badass (with the exception of the chinas).

I've been listening to chinas all morning and realize the issues with the current SSD chinas.. The small one is too small and flimsy, and the big one is way too dark. So we'll have a lot more options.

And finally some good news DSS3, the new Deluxe cymbal packs will be compatible with the current SSD system and are full stereo cymbal setups with variable stereo overhead, you're gonna love it.

what I would love is a wav version of the midi one, note 57 :lol: check in Guitar Pro. I love chinas that do "kschhhh" the dark strong way.

EDIT : exactly like the Behemoth video posted in the beginning of the thread by metaltastic, 2:17

And finally some good news DSS3, the new Deluxe cymbal packs will be compatible with the current SSD system and are full stereo cymbal setups with variable stereo overhead, you're gonna love it.

Seriously, cannot wait for this. As much as I bitch and moan about the current SSD3, I really do think this next cymbal pack will destroy and can't wait to try it out.

You seem VERY patient Slate.

He puts up with my shit day in and day out, definitely a patient guy! :lol: