Slate Trigger can

Lately I have been just copying the snare track and throwing Trigger on that and set it to hard hits. Then I go through and chop out all the fast rolls/fills and ghost notes that won't sound good with hard hits being triggered. After that I just go through and automate the volume of the trigger track so that it's down a little during the rolls, down more when there is blasting, so on and so on. Then no sample during ghost notes, only natural snare there. Seems to be working out really well so far, for me anyway.

Lately I have been just copying the snare track and throwing Trigger on that and set it to hard hits. Then I go through and chop out all the fast rolls/fills and ghost notes that won't sound good with hard hits being triggered. After that I just go through and automate the volume of the trigger track so that it's down a little during the rolls, down more when there is blasting, so on and so on. Then no sample during ghost notes, only natural snare there. Seems to be working out really well so far, for me anyway.

That's definately worth trying mate :)

006, are you putting the ghost notes on a separate track so that there's not Trigger on it? Or just your Trigger blend/mix allows the ghosts to come through enough?

I have a track of the original snare processed like normal, then I have a 2nd track of that but with Trigger on it set to 100% replace. So the natural snare is there all the time and the Trigger track gets it's volume automated up or down depending on what part it is. Instead of having it on the one snare track and setting the blend to 50% etc., using two tracks to do that, basically.

I have a track of the original snare processed like normal, then I have a 2nd track of that but with Trigger on it set to 100% replace. So the natural snare is there all the time and the Trigger track gets it's volume automated up or down depending on what part it is. Instead of having it on the one snare track and setting the blend to 50% etc., using two tracks to do that, basically.

I've tried all the suggestions (expect midi) here for a very fast but low volume roll, I really need/want to use slate for this, but it just doesnt seem to cope

Are there any other options ?

Not really sure man. I'm actually still using that same method, only now I just don't bother triggering anything but hard hits. Everything else is all natural snare, rolls, blasts, fills. Of course, that doesn't help if the original snare is crap, but that's where tracking things properly, a good drummer, good drums, tuning, etc. comes in really handy. Hopefully someone can shed some new light on their methods of tackling the situation.

I smashed the input level right up the wazzoo and it "almost" does the trick....I've got to say its a lot of effort "learning" to using the tool, but the samples are great and hopefully newer versions will make it more robust - thanks 006

lol....i thought the whole purpose of plopping down the cash on trigger was to get around the hassle of having to split tracks and dick around with getting drumagog to work properly

glad i stuck with what i feel works, and saved my money to spend elsewhere...

Nah you gotta do all sorts of side-chain rejection and automation with Trigger. Since I print to MIDI, I can basically just stop recording, tweak the setting for the section, then start recording again. That brings with it another problem though, which is that Trigger's MIDI functionality has been broken since release, with apparently no immediate prospect of being fixed.

From my experience, Trigger works like a charm even when there are some ghost notes here and there. Only a couple of times I have to split a track to get some very low hits properly triggered. But it's not a lot of work at all.

Hey Guys, I'm a Trigger noob so please don't flame me bad for asking some questions that might seem basic. Before anyone asks I searched all over and read the manual and I've been playing with it for a bit trying to work these things out on my own but i'm getting frustrated and hope you can help.

I'm using PTLE 8 on a Mac Pro quad with Trigger EX only on Audio files.

Firstly is it true that in PTLE you will always have latency with trigger? I tried in both modes, and also adjusting my buffer size and CPU usage but trigger is still late. It makes it hard to audition samples because it sounds like flaming from the original track to the new triggered track. I printed a 100% triggered track and saw the replaced track was late. Is the only way to handle this moving the audio by the difference in the amount of samples?

Secondly I'm looking all over but I can't figure out how to automate the settings. Do you have to hit command click on the control you want to automate to do this? I don't see anything in the manual about automation. As I understand the detail can be automated which would be a big help.

Any other tips for this PT8 user would be helpful
-John

Click the Plug-in Automation button below "Auto" and above "Safe" on the plug-in. Select detail and add it so it's in the right column. You'll be able to automate the detail this way.
Screenshot2012-05-03at162132.png

As for the flams, just print your tracks and move them by the difference in samples as you said.

Click the Plug-in Automation button below "Auto" and above "Safe" on the plug-in. Select detail and add it so it's in the right column. You'll be able to automate the detail this way.

As for the flams, just print your tracks and move them by the difference in samples as you said.

Thanks a lot man. Sometimes its right in my view and I miss it! I appreciate it man!

As for the latency thing that kinda sucks, but If thats it I can live with.

Thanks again man.

lol....i thought the whole purpose of plopping down the cash on trigger was to get around the hassle of having to split tracks and dick around with getting drumagog to work properly

glad i stuck with what i feel works, and saved my money to spend elsewhere...

To be clear, I only split it like that because I only want to trigger the hard hits. That's just how I do things. I know several guys that totally replace the snare with TRIGGER and don't have a problem getting all the dynamics. I just prefer to have the natural snare sound during blasts, rolls/fills.

Honestly TRIGGER is still the best replacement plug-in I have ever used. I will never go back to Drumagog.

Nah you gotta do all sorts of side-chain rejection and automation with Trigger. Since I print to MIDI, I can basically just stop recording, tweak the setting for the section, then start recording again. That brings with it another problem though, which is that Trigger's MIDI functionality has been broken since release, with apparently no immediate prospect of being fixed.

I still haven't had a problem with MIDI and TRIGGER since day 1, fortunately.

To be clear, I only split it like that because I only want to trigger the hard hits. That's just how I do things. I know several guys that totally replace the snare with TRIGGER and don't have a problem getting all the dynamics. I just prefer to have the natural snare sound during blasts, rolls/fills.

Honestly TRIGGER is still the best replacement plug-in I have ever used. I will never go back to Drumagog.

gotcha

on the initial read, i thought you meant you were splitting the tracks and using different trigger settings on each, which is what i've been doing forever with drumagog rather than dicking endlessly with the settings on a single snare channel

I still haven't had a problem with MIDI and TRIGGER since day 1, fortunately.

If you're still on the very first version, I think it worked ok. Any subsequent installers have basically rendered midi triggering completely useless. I bought Trigger at a later version and don't have the installer for the older versions that supposedly work ok.

Been getting by with Massey DRT converting to audio clicks and editing those, but still. Trigger's MIDI functionality REALLY needs fixing. They've been pretty silent on the issue too.