Slay The Masses - which is the definitive Opeth album?

I say Blackwater Park. In know a lot of people like the "old school" stuff, which is awesome. But, the band has been evolving since the beginning, and I tend to see Blackwater Park as their Number of the Beast. You know....just like Maiden....Killers and the first album were great....but they really came into their own productions-wise, writing-wise, etc., with Number of the Beast.....

Of course, this would make Deliverance their Piece of Mind......and the annoying debate still rages amongst metal heads as to whether NOTB or Piece of Mind is the better album. I say, incidentally, Number of the Beast.....and I also say Blackwater Park....but I said that once, didn't I?

I don't think 'difinitive' has anthing to do with 'favorite'. My favorite is Still Life, but their difinitive album to me is Blackwater Park, because needless to say, it gave them their largest fanbase increase

I guess I interpreted the question incorrectly...I'd agree that BWP gave Opeth their biggest exposure and thus made it a 'definitive' album in that sense. But it definitely wasn't 'definitive' in a musical sense.

You didn't sound stupid, it's easily misinterpreted.

So, in this case then, how are you asking for definitive then? If it's pushing musical boundaries I'd say Morningrise, but again I don't think that relates to the word much.