Slayer - Divine Intervention

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Somebody please explain to me why Slayer fans discredit this album. If anything this album is more back to their roots than Seasons in the Abyss (though there is NOTHING wrong with that album, it does utilize simplified song structure and an overall accessible sound). Seems like people give this album more crap than even the irrefutably terrible (for a Slayer album) Diabolus in Musica.

Either way, Divine Intervention was my favorite Slayer album for years, until Seasons in the Abyss knocked it off the throne (even though I've owned that one longer, whatever).

EDIT: Let's see (how many more) parenthetical statements (I can put) in this threa(d).

Divine Intervention was my first Slayer album. I remember buying it used at Half Price Books back in 95/96 or so. I thought it licked deformed nut sac.

Then again, thrash ain't my thang.

Reign in Blood rules, but is overrated. I've said that time and time again, flame at will but I've heard it all before. :Spin:

J. said:
Then again, thrash ain't my thang.
That's the point I'm getting at, that it is still a thrash album by Slayer. I don't see why any Slayer fan would have a problem with it, as I've always found it more of a "traditional" Slayer album than both Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven. Do I expect people to love it like I do? Well no, but it seems so many just hate it, and I don't understand why.

Divine Intervention = when Slayer jumped the shark ... it was all downhill from there on.

That's the point I'm getting at, that it is still a thrash album by Slayer. I don't see why any Slayer fan would have a problem with it, as I've always found it more of a "traditional" Slayer album than both Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven. Do I expect people to love it like I do? Well no, but it seems so many just hate it, and I don't understand why.
if you would have followed Slayer from Show No Mercy on .. from the early days ... it would answer all your questions.

taken in by itself, DI might be OK ... but after listening to HA, RIB, SOH and SITA for years and years ... and then getting DI .... well ... it was crap ... and more crap followed after it.

You know a band is frickin' ancient when you've been listening to them for 13 years and you're still considered a "n00b." :loco:

You know a band is frickin' ancient when you've been listening to them for 13 years and you're still considered a "n00b." :loco:
imagine how i feel ... like an old fart :)

Out of the Slayer albums I own (Show No Mercy, Live Undead, Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, Live: Decade of Aggression) I think Seasons in the Abyss is my favorite. Show No Mercy certainly challenges it though, its got a lot of energy and its just fun to listen to. Come to think of it, it'd probably fit in with the "Summer Music" thread well.

These are pretty much the answers I was looking for, thanks. Ya'll are wrong, but that's beside the point. :loco:

Diabolus is not a bad album, but it is a terrible Slayer album, meaning it just doesn't sound like them.

Slayer, ranked for me:

South Of Heaven
Reign In Blood
Divine Intervention
Hell Awaits
Show No Mercy
Haunting The Chapel
God Hates Us All
Diabolus In Musica
Undisputed Aggression

I didn't include live albums.

And yes, I was into Slayer during "Reign In Blood," but over the years, when I play a Slayer album, I enjoy South's songs more.

I always liked Gemini, but other than that I remember really disliking Undisputed Attitude. Only heard it once though, some Slayer special on the radio they played most of the album when it came out. Balls.

Anyone ever pick up that Soundtrack to the Apocalypse box? Any good?

Papa Josh said:
Undisputed Aggression
Undisputed Attitude ;)

I always found Divine Intervention just kinda bland...nothing really stood out for me. I can't remember how any of those songs go apart from Dittohead cos that's the really fast one :loco:

Papa Josh said:
And yes, I was into Slayer during "Reign In Blood," but over the years, when I play a Slayer album, I enjoy South's songs more.
You're probably old enough to remember the hoopla around the release of South of Heaven. All the fans & press complaining that it wasn't RiB part deux. It got poor reviews if I remember right.

Even amidst all that, I thought it was fantastic back then (as I do now), and a song like "South of Heaven" obviously paved the way to "Dead Skin Mask", and to me, those two are some of the greatest Slayer songs ever in the whole galaxy!!!!11

You're probably old enough to remember the hoopla around the release of South of Heaven. All the fans & press complaining that it wasn't RiB part deux. It got poor reviews if I remember right.
I was one of those fans :wave: ... but seriously, metal in those days was so elitist in certain ways that nothing less that RIB2 would do. Slayer quickly shut everyone up when going on tour supporting SOH, those songs were just brutal live.

As much as I love RIB, my fave release would still have to be Hell Awaits.

Yeah, I remember they took loads of criticism for SOH. And lurch is quite right in regards to the elitism, which still exists today, unfortunately.

Back to Divine Interevention, are you guys kidding me? Too slow? Bland?

"Killing Fields" has one of the most brutal drum fills from Bostaph, instantly laid waste to all of Lombardo's work.

"Sex, Murder Art" is fast, brutal and quite tasty.

Gotta agree with Sorath- "Fictional Reality" is great.

"Dittohead"- excellent.

Title track was ok...

Second side has some really strong stuff too: "213," "Serentity In Murder" and a few fast cuts that just kinda whizz by.