Slayer - Divine Intervention

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Divine Intervention is musically Slayer's best album, but the terrible production job is what lets it down just a little. The riffs are sped up and much more technical, the drums are phenomenal, and Araya's scream is much less annoying that it was in the past, and was to become on later releases.

While Seasons in the Abyss is my favourite Slayer release, there was a few fillers, and some of the songs featured hooks which were totally unlike slayer... This has been dropped, there is no fillers on Divine Intervention, and it is just about as metal as you can get, no radio-choruses (Seasons in the abyss anyone!?). 100% Heavy Metal.

Beginning with Killing Fields, Divine Intervention comes scream at you right from the start just like before, but Slayer have got a few things in store for the listener that haven't been subjected to before by the band. The downright creepy clean guitars of Divine Intervention will scare the fucking HELL out of you the first time you hear, especially the section with the echoing vocals over the top.

While the production makes it a little hard to get into first off, after a few listens you begin to see why this is such a great album, full of awesome thrash riffs, creepy "serial killer" passages, heavy grooves and haunting melodies scattered throughout the album.

7/10 for slayer this time, only because of the bad production and the fact that i KNOW that you won't ever release another decent album again.

Slayer's worst and most one-dimensional album. Kerry is a far worse songwriter than Jeff, and since this is almost entirely written by Kerry.... And the drum arrangements are boring. GHUA and Diabolus were both better in every department.

uh...GHUA all has one good song and thats the opening track after that all goes to the toilet.Diabolius In Musica was the beinging step towards the Nu-Metal Direction.Sorry but Divine Intervention,Reign In Blood,Hell Awaits put any new Slayer album to waste.WHAT HAPPENED TO SLAYER ???? :mad:

Good review, but I don't understand why people think this has a bad produciton...

Dittohead, 213, Serenity in Murder, and Sex Murder Art are the highlights for me. This album has some of the most technical riffs Slayer has put out. Also, its one of Slayer's darkest albums (second only to Hell Awaits, IMO).

And to the n00b who thinks GHUA and Diabolus are better, put down your Slipknot cds and listen to more metal. This was the last true Slayer album, and it will not dissapoint. Only two flaws on this cd are some of Araya's vocals on Killing Field and the title track. Those aren't even that bad once you get used to them.

Diabolus is a great album, it's not exactly like old slayer, but it's great. I don't like GHUA though, there is two or three good songs, but that's about it...

Good review, but I don't understand why people think this has a bad produciton...

Put it back to back with Diabolus, and then you'll understand. It sounds like it's recorded in a bucket (in fact, i have my suspicions!), the guitar has WAY too much mid in it, the kick souds like a pencil tapping on a desk (possibly tuned a little too high, and not enough low end on the production, and too much high end click). It's not really an opinion thing dude, i love the album too, but it has a bad production either way.

I think Divine Intervention is a great CD! But on the other hand, I think Diabolis In Musica and God Hates Us All is great too! But still, I think if you like their old stuff you shoud like Divine Intervention too.

Divine Intervention is the last old-school Slayer album. Their latest releases
are getting more modern sound.