SLAYER - has the stagnation finally subsided?

HUNGER OF THE UNDEAD

BRINGER OF TORTURE
May 20, 2002
Rhode Island, USA
Visit site
Someone said that in Vegas last night that Slayer actually played "Haunting the Chapel"!!!! He said he almost fainted.
This would mark the first time since the 1985 Hell Awaits tour that they pulled this classic out. He also said they played "Spill the Blood" which was only played on the 88 South tour. Not the best choice from South but atleast its FRESH! That set has been as stale for the past several years as a bowl of chips out in the hot sun all day.
They damn well better keep playing those everynight!
The bad news is they are STILL playing "fore skin mask" and "shit stain of mine" everynight...ugh...yawn...wretch...hurl!:eek: :rolleyes: :(

Well I think Dead Skin Mask is a great song but I completely agree with you that they NEED to change the setlist around. I mean for starters I would love to hear the following tunes out of them, I have seen them live five times and they have never once played any of these:
  • Ghosts Of War
  • Silent Scream
  • Skeletons Of Society
  • Serenity In Murder
  • Screaming From The Sky
  • Point

Originally posted by Triumphant Apostle
Well I think Dead Skin Mask is a great song but I completely agree with you that they NEED to change the setlist around. I mean for starters I would love to hear the following tunes out of them, I have seen them live five times and they have never once played any of these:
  • Ghosts Of War
  • Silent Scream
  • Skeletons Of Society
  • Serenity In Murder
  • Screaming From The Sky
  • Point

Well as far as I know (and as you can probably tell I keep good notes on this shit) they only played "Ghosts" and "Silent" on the South tour in 88.
They played "Skeletons" on the 7 date week in the Abyss tour in 90 and on the Seasons tour 91 when TestAmenT blew them away.
They didnt play "Serenity" here in 94, not sure about anywhere else that year.
Someone said they played "Screaming" at Hampton Beach when they headlined a show on an off night of the ozzfest they did.
Ive never heard of them playing "Point" which is ridiculous because its one of the most awesome and brutal songs they've ever recorded.
There's a TON of songs that either A) they never played or B) they havent played in MANY years. Here's a list with the last known year the songs were played live. If anyone has any additional info, please post it!
Fight Till Death (88)
Face the Slayer (84)
Aggressive Perfector (85)
Crionics (85)
Tormentor (83)
Show No Mercy (85)
Final Command (85)
Haunting the Chapel (85)
Kill Again (88)
Praise of Death (86)
Crypts of Eternity (85)
Hardening of the Arteries (86)
Necropheliac (96)
Piece By Piece (never)
Necrophobic (87)
Epidemic (87)
Reborn (86 US / 94 Europe)
Silent Scream (88)
Live Undead (90)
Behind the Crooked Cross (88)
Ghosts of War (88)
Read Between The Lies (88)
Cleanse The Soul (never)
Spill the Blood (88)
Dissadent Aggressor cover (never)

Then theres a bunch of newer songs they just have never played like Perversions of Pain and Point!!!!!

Slayer kicked ass in Los Angeles. In Flames opened, then Soulfly, then it was Slayer. Slayer even played "Spill the Blood" at this concert too. I can't remember if they played Haunting the Chapel though.

You cant remember??? No offense but how could you NOT remember an historical event like that?? LOL
Anyway, I have heard from someone else that they did indeed play HAUNTING the fucking CHAPEL in LA as well!!
I cant eve imagine they are playing this after not for the past 17 years!! This is one of my favorite tunes by them I PRAY they play it and Spill the Blood next weekend in Worcester!
This is a step in the right direction for them.

I don't think I have any interest in seeing Slayer. I saw them for Reign in Blood and World Sacrifice tours. Those set lists ruled.

Jesus Saves!

After seeing SLAYER with LOMBARDO in San JOSE, why even look for a new drummer, just deal with Dave & give him everything he wants.......................................................................he's 100%
worth it..........................................................................

When was the San Jose show? Did they play Haunting and Spill?
Inquiring minds NEED to know! : )
I agree, they need to settle their differences and get Dave back, or just call it quits. Personally I think instead of rushing off to record another record they should take some time off to rehearse a ton of old songs and then do a tour playing just stuff they havent done in years as well as songs off the last 3 records that they never play. Then they could release another double live album rather than a studio release. They should open the set with Raining Blood / Angel of Death like on the 86 tour and then not play anything else they've played live in the past 14 years. That would kick serious ass!
I think the problem with getting Dave back is they just dont get along. Thats been going on forever!
All that aside, I still cant believe how rude and unprofessional Tom was on that last tour. In New Haven it was the very first night Dave had played with them in 10 years and Tom never even said "We'd like to thank Dave for helping us out" or "You all remember Dave, right?" or something!.....ANYTHING!!! I lost some respect for him that night.....of course he'll get it back if they continue to reintroduce some long lost tracks into that stale set. heh heh heh.
Maybe they're just jealous because they know damn well how much the fans have always loved Dave. Either way, it was simply wrong to not introduce him, even though he needs no introduction. In Providence a few nights later, someone had a sign that said "Dave Saves!"
Mine just said "Change the set!" hehehehe

Well they did intoduce him in San Jose to a roaring crowd, it was the first night of the H82K2 tour. They played a ton of old classic's,
South of Heaven, Mandatory Suicide, Chemical Warfare, Season in the Abyss, Hell Awaits, dead skin mask, Temptation, Angel Of Death, Haunting The Chapel, Reign In Blood, plus some 3 new ones their new album, thats what I can remember....................
it was awesome!

Originally posted by Deadly Embrace
Well they did intoduce him in San Jose to a roaring crowd, it was the first night of the H82K2 tour.

HUNGER: Wow, Im very impressed! Its about time! Thats great to hear!!

DEADLY: They played a ton of old classic's,
South of Heaven, Mandatory Suicide, Chemical Warfare, Season in the Abyss, Hell Awaits, dead skin mask,

HUNGER: yawn! While these ARE classics (well aside from Seasons and fore skin) they have bene played to death. Time for a change.

DEADLY: Temptation,

HUNGER: REALLY??? I have never ever heard of them playing this song live. Are you sure? Its not a great song, but its different and that is aewsome!!!!!!

DEADLY: Angel Of Death, Haunting The Chapel, Reign In Blood,

HUNGER: Glad they are playing HAUNTING!!!! 17 yrs is way too long to keep songs out of a set.

DEADLY: plus some 3 new ones their new album, thats what I can remember....................
it was awesome!

HUNGER: No Spill the Blood?? Hmm, perhaps they are switching it up with Temptation? What about Antichrist??
Thanks for your response D.E.!! :)

"daves saves" - great banner. i like "change the set" too!! LOL...
that's the height rudeness not to even introduce dave to the crowd.

Yeah, At Dawn is a killer live song, but the highlight for me was definetly Haunting the Chapel!!! 17 years is a LONG time! By the crowds reaction, I dont think most people even knew what it was LOL
I got goose bumps when they tore into that one though. Also, The Antichrist was killer, which they dont do that often, and Spill the Blood after only having been played on the South tour 14 years ago! That is just killer! This was the best Slayer tour since Clash of the Titans! (IMO)

All I know is that if anybody has ever tried to PLAY Slayer's stuff on any instrument, let alone scream your cotten pickin' lungs out like Tom does every fuckin' night, then we'd all be a lot more appreciative of what the geriatric thrashers are capable of to this day. I've seen death and black metal bands with 19 year-olds who couldn't hold a match to a piece of Slayer's shit! Here these guys are two weeks away from qualifying for AARP and Medicare and they still rip the shit out of all the teenage wannabes!