Slayer-more drama than Anthrax?

sufferer

Feb 18, 2002
St. Petersburg, FL
With Paul Bostaph back permanently and Dave finding out about it online it looks like Slayer is a mess. I personally loved the albums Paul played on as well as his playing, I think he's a great drummer. But without Dave and Jeff I'm not sure what new Slayer will hold. Glad to hear Jon is permanently in Anthrax hopefully he doesn't go crazy or anything.

They totally jumped the shark and went mainstream for SITA. South of Heaven has some really good riffs here and there. I know what you mean, it's not like classic Slayer, especially like Haunting The Chapel.

Slayer-more drama than Anthrax?

Maybe now, but over the history of both bands, Slayer have a lot of catching up to do.

I happen to agree, Seasons was their best album. I don't get the dislike for it. Everyone claims RIB was their best, and it was groundbreaking for sure, but SITA was the album that impressed me most.

I'm not even big on Slayer and yet War Ensemble is one of my all time favorite songs. I think seasons is great. I wish south of heaven and reign, much like earlier Anthrax albums, would be remastered or whatever. I don't think musically there's anything wrong. I just wish it sounded fuller and louder. For exemple(I know it's only covers), take Anthems. It sounds so big and loud. I don't even have to turn it up that much on my car stereo or headphones at home.

Seasons in the Abyss is fucking awesome. Dead Skin Mask is excellent but all those songs are killer. The stuff after Seasons may be lesser but it is all listenable. I liked World Painted Blood a lot more than any CD since Seasons.

It is kind of silly, in a way, to compare Slayer records since the band themselves openly acknowledge their formula is to try to sound the same every time. I don't have a favorite Slayer CD. The CDs I listen to the least would be Undisputed Attitude followed by either Christ Illusion or Diabolus In Musica. They are all decent enough but my least favorite.

And PS:
I think it is pretty much impossible for any band in thrash music to have as much drama as Anthrax has. :) I would say Megadeth maybe but since that is just really a touring band for Dave Mustaine it doesn't count.

south & seasons reflects the fact that jeff Hanneman pushed Slayer creatively; again and again, there was not a set blue print. not everything would be RIB speed and tone (RIB is SO singular. so power. such a shock when it came out. it is a kind of brilliance but i the other albums are overall superior). war ensemble and dead skin mask are just crushing and consistent w. the band's brutal style. season's the song is a masterpiece. i admit I didn't follow slayer's later works that closely. I am looking fwd to focusing renewed interest in the bands later works.