Slayer-reign in blood

sate_in

black metal musician
Mar 18, 2004
kansas
i figured we should have an old american thrash thread.......so umm....whats everyone think of this album? personally i think angel of death and raining blood are the greatest songs on the album, everything in between just sounds real similar. plus i never understood why dave lombardo was such an overrated drummer, he just does bass snare bass snare fill cymbal type patterns......gets kind of old real fast...perhaps he could be called influential for doing it at the time, but it is boring in itself. otherwise, it is quite a great thrashy album (i know i did a shitty review..shutup)

sate_in said:
i figured we should have an old american thrash thread.......so umm....whats everyone think of this album? personally i think angel of death and raining blood are the greatest songs on the album, everything in between just sounds real similar. plus i never understood why dave lombardo was such an overrated drummer, he just does bass snare bass snare fill cymbal type patterns......gets kind of old real fast...perhaps he could be called influential for doing it at the time, but it is boring in itself. otherwise, it is quite a great thrashy album (i know i did a shitty review..shutup)
Lombardo isn't legendary because of his work on Reign.........Have you ever heard South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss? He plays some awesome fills on those two.........that's why he is so respected......I love Reign but it isn't Slayers best as most people would think...........I love the Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves part, Piece by Piece, and Postmortem is a great song too, the other songs are pretty average.

It's a good album, and it was a new dissonant approach to playing metal that influenced countless bands. I just get tired of it really quickly.

And Lombardo is overrated, even with his playing on SOH and Seasons. If those albums didn't have as good drumming as they did, I'd say he was downright shitty.

I have been listening to metal since 1984 ... that is 20 years for you mathematically challenged :) ... and this is my favorite METAL record EVER! Nothing has come along in 20 years to beat it in my book.

Bought it the day it was released and had not heard anyhting since that gave me such goosebumps as this.

However, if you were raised on The Haunted and other ripoff bands ... I can understand why you would not "get" this or would think Lombardo is overrated.

I have been listening to metal since 1984 ... that is 20 years for you mathematically challenged ... and this is my favorite METAL record EVER! Nothing has come along in 20 years to beat it in my book.

Bought it the day it was released and had not heard anyhting since that gave me such goosebumps as this.

However, if you were raised on The Haunted and other ripoff bands ... I can understand why you would not "get" this or would think Lombardo is overrated.

Youre so right lurch! Those kiddys who listen to this new school hardcore thrash with death vocals (the haunted, carnal forge and other crap) think its real thrash and think to have an opinion. Its always a good laugh... but then again its sad.

All hail the best album ever!

DAve Lombardo is my favorite musician. He is godlike! \m/

of course because even The Haunted's drummer its better than lombardo
it really has nothing to do with who is better at their instrument ... it has to do with songwriting.

I am a Slayer fanboy .. this is true ... been listening to them since 1984 ... not many bands have held my attention that long ...