Slayer Sucks

Travis said:
Dave Lombardo has my respect because of Testament's The Gathering.

Otherwise, I don't really listen to slayer.

Yea, Lombardo has my respect. I really enjoyed his "Grip Inc." projects, I wish they would do another one. As a band I think Slayer's last great was "Seasons in the Abyss" they've kinda went downhill since. Although Christ Illusion is a step back in the right direction.

NineFeetUnderground said:
slayer is now indeed overhyped and overrated, but that by no means takes away the importance of the first 4 slayer releases which are essential.

I agree

I'm going to see them this sunday, i saw a setlist of one of their shows in Chile and they play a lot of the old stuff, so I'm really excited, besides few bands come here so I'm happy to see one of my favorites bands :)

I love South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss, some of the solos are pretty good on those albums, ''Spirit in Black'' being a good example. I don't mind Araya's voice...and some of his lyrics are fucking cool imo, like ''Silent Scream'' for example. The recent slayer albums are complete garbage tbh.

Dave Lombardo is the Godfather of Speed metal drumming. Along with Gene Hoglan.

He is as influential as Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich or Neil Peart.

He inspired just thousands and thousands of musicians.

Yeah, current metal drummers go way faster than him now but his style is so personnal especially those incredibly smooth and looonng tom rolls ( Seansons in the Abyss intro and outro !)

How do you recognize a Good Slayer song from a Bad Slayer song ?

Good. Written by Jeff Hannemann.
Bad. Written by Kerry King.

Works everytime.

Kerry King is a hack, a fucking moron who bitches constantly with bands who are not enough metal for him, he didn't write any of the Slayer classic songs.
Talk about egotrip.

Divine Intervention is underrated there was good stuff on this.
The new album is OK ( thx to Dave)

Also, few bands had the 1-2-3 punch classic albums as good as Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss.

TheButcher said:
I agree

I'm going to see them this sunday, i saw a setlist of one of their shows in Chile and they play a lot of the old stuff, so I'm really excited, besides few bands come here so I'm happy to see one of my favorites bands :)

man, i'd trade you any day. Venezuala looks absolutely stunning, its been my ambition to go there for a few years now.

Death_To_False_Metal said:
How do you recognize a Good Slayer song from a Bad Slayer song ?

Good. Written by Jeff Hannemann.
Bad. Written by Kerry King.

Works everytime.

Kerry King is a hack, blah blah blah, he didn't write any of the Slayer classic songs.

Incidentally, on Reign in Blood, AMG credits King with not only Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves, both staples in the Slayer set, but Raining Blood, perhaps THE Slayer song. King has credit for all the songs on Reign in Blood but for Postmortem and Angel of Death, and that album was Slayer's landmark album. What exactly were you sayinga again?:Smug:

some is listenable... but i hate the repetitiveness of the lyrics... we hate god, god sucks, kill god... we get the picture. aside from that, influential and made some great music in their time.

coolsnow7 said:
Incidentally, on Reign in Blood, AMG credits King with not only Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves, both staples in the Slayer set, but Raining Blood, perhaps THE Slayer song. King has credit for all the songs on Reign in Blood but for Postmortem and Angel of Death, and that album was Slayer's landmark album. What exactly were you sayinga again?:Smug:

Yeah but King was the 'co-writer', not 'writer' of Raining Blood and that statement was about their skills as sole compositors iirc...

and I agree with it: King may have written a few decent riffs and Hanneman had a few slips but definitly Hanneman songs > King songs

Blue_Jay said:
South Of Heaven is way too slow for me. I have a really difficult time listening to it.

If you compare it to the other albums, yeah it is indeed slower...but it still has some fast moments...i like the doomy vibe of the songs, Mandatory Suicide is one of slayer's best tracks ever imo.

i aint play this said:
If you compare it to the other albums, yeah it is indeed slower...but it still has some fast moments...i like the doomy vibe of the songs, Mandatory Suicide is one of slayer's best tracks ever imo.

silent scream is hardly slow though....in fact lomardo goes fucking nuts on it...no wonder they used to call him the god of thunder back in the day