Sleaze Mix (no EMG, no TS, no sm57...LOADS of Room etc

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
damn, this was fun ;)
Here's the very first draft.....I was going for "80ies but still modern)....
kinda Harcore Superstar meets Metallica ReLoad with a bit of Crüe or something, lol.

far from finished yet, but perhaps you wanna give me some comments....

Lots of parallel compression on the drums, 3-4 different reverbs, plus room etc...don't expect your average modern metal mix!

Sleazy

;)

I dig the vocals, they sit nicely ! Not too fan of the singer himself though but that's another story !

There is something that's bugging me, but I can't figure out if it's me or not : the left guitar has way more lows/low mids than the right one, or at least it's how I perceive it, and it distracts me a little. Could it be a difference of treatment of the guitars ?

the drum samples dont fit the song for me. they seem too modern for the mix.

well, the "samples" is the actual kit he was using....there are still people on this board who're sing real drums ;)

I get what you mean though, but the sound was supposed to be 2012 while still having an old school vibe (room, reverb etc).

I like the snare a lot. The guitars are a bit undergained but then again, this isn't metal... but they're still a bit wimpy in that regard.

The drums sound pretty great, a bit too modern as someone else said, but great.

The vocalist is pretty meh but you made his voice fit the mix pretty well, might be too upfront, though? He sounds on top of the mix, not in it.

As it's a "rough draft" in your words, I'll go ahead and say there's also a lack of glue on the whole thing. Sounds like a bunch of separate instruments, not a band.

BUT, overly critical mode off, I couldn't make this band sound as good as you did, so props!

Dig it Lasse. I'd like the guitars a bit louder/in your face. Cos i'm diggin the chords/tone but they're too distant to really get into it.. if that makes sense.

lol drums do sound too modern methinkz

singer is my least fav weak link, if there is a way to tune his pitchiness and put some chorus harmonies and make his voice sound more full by compression tweaking with voxango voxformer maybe...its a singer type of song so burying the singing is not the answer, maybe more reverb on it too...

Drums need like, 4 more room mics on them.

And your title made me think: "Silly engineers... 57's are for toms!"

Diggin this mix! :D Yeah, teh drums are a bit modern, but who gives a fvck? It sounds damn good!

That lead guitar thing at the start sounded undergained, i like the rhythms a lot though. I agree with the 'glue' comments. Maybe throw some verbz on the guitars or let them bleed in the drum's verb? I think the drums generally need a nastier sound or something to make them sound like a set in a room. I would probably cut out the entire first intro/drum dickery thing - it doesn't really pull me into the track and when the song does get going it's almost an entirely different direction/groove. otherwise it's pretty ragin'.

please post moar recording info if you want