circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Slechtvalk – At the Dawn of War
Fear Dark Records – FD017 – February 2005
By Jason Jordan

dawn.jpg

Ever hear an album that’s missing something, but what’s missing can’t be pinpointed? That’s how I feel about Slechtvalk’s third LP, named At the Dawn of War. Even though there’s classiness inherent in the sextet’s sound, it just lacks the pizzazz needed to push me over the edge of mild amusement.

This Dutch outfit play an unmistakable style of melodic, symphonic black metal that often runs parallel to old Dimmu Borgir, but naturally they’re going to be compared with labelmates Antestor for obvious reasons. Anyway, “From Out of the Mist We Came Forth” – the intro to At the Dawn of War – is exquisite in manifold ways. I fancy the organic instrumentation (flute, acoustic guitar, drums, et al), which conjures a fantasy/medieval setting, and was adeptly cut to tape. The symphonic segue into “Call to Arms” is nicely done as well, because the sound effects such as horses and war horns prepare us for an album based on, you guessed it, war. However, as good as the BM parts are, the clean vocals erode the ground upon which everything else sets. Poor vocals don’t irk me too often, but when they do, I’d rather slit the throat of a small child than be subjected to them. Thankfully, Slechtvalk don’t let the atrocious clean pipes monopolize the record’s assault. The dreamlike female vox are a great addition to the fold, nonetheless, and the choir adds another dimension to an otherwise flatter approach. Like Immortal, I’d much rather this troupe play fast than slow, so “The Spoils of Treason” doesn’t work insofar as “Mortal Serenity,” “Besieged,” and the impressive “Thunder of War.” To be remembered is the interlude in “Desertion,” which is like a lantern standing alone in a dark, cavernous landscape. But maybe the coolest part of At the Dawn of War is “Under a Moonlight Sky” – here you’ll get melancholic piano matched with harsher accompaniers. The Bal-Sagoth-esque spoken words made me roll my eyes at such dramatic theatrical interjections, but still, “Under a Moonlight Sky” is a good song.

At the Dawn of War is lukewarm. Slechtvalk have numerous redeeming qualities, and many of said qualities manifest themselves on this, their third full-length. Amidst the torrent of black metal, ethereal-yet-supplemental additions, and repulsive clean vocals, I just couldn’t overlook the gaping absence that kept reappearing. This clan has loads of potential, and I hope that they use it to the fullest on their next excursion. Until then, I shall pray for the ultimate split album: Slechtvalk / Red Sparowes – At the Soundless Dawn of War, which can be found in your local grocer’s freezer.

7.5/10

Official Slechtvalk Website
Official Fear Dark Records Website