circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Slechtvalk – Thunder of War
Fear Dark Records – FD019 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

thunder.jpg

This is a single. Luckily, for everyone involved, Slechtvalk decided to release “Thunder of War” as their first single, and it’s one of the best songs on their latest full-length At the Dawn of War. For the sake of time, I’m not going to describe the band’s sound that much – if at all – so if you desire a more in-depth look at Slechtvalk, check out my review of said album. I doubt I have to even bother saying this, but Thunder of War should only be purchased after At the Dawn of War. However, this single does have a fair share of individual merit.

First, an edited version (for time, not content) of “Thunder of War” opens the single, and like I pointed out, is a fine exemplification of melodic black metal. The album version closes the single, though, and is only thirty seconds longer. Not much of a difference if you ask me. The real treat is “Illusions,” which turns out to be a flavorful bonus track that hands over exquisite BM moments while keyboards dance in the background. At over seven minutes in length, it’s almost twice as long as its brethren. “Loss” – another bonus track – lets female vocals take the helm, and is a simplistic-yet-stunning piece of music. With that being said, Thunder of War closes shop at the nineteen-minute mark.

If you happen to like Slechtvalk – there’s a lot to like about this Dutch tribe – then you have a cluster of things to feed on. I’d recommend At the Dawn of War above all, but Thunder of War plus their DVD Upon the Fields of Battle provides more material to digest. Whatever you do, at least read the review of their latest disc…

7/10

Official Slechtvalk Website
Official Fear Dark Records Website