Sleep Paralysis

IronMaiden15

OT Guru
Sep 4, 2008
New York
So early this morning I experienced something quite odd. I'm laying in my bed, I'm conscious but I can't move any of my limbs. When I try to speak, the only sound that comes out, if any, were murmurs. I also had the feeling that something else was in the room, only visible in my peripheral vision. It only lasted about 10 seconds. Has this happened to anyone else here?

Thanks for those links, I used to have some form of this in my puberty days.
It happened almost daily for some time. It was exactly like in that article, a witch with glowing eyes.
She also hunted me down in my dreams, pushing me down stairs and stuff.
Someday it just stopped and never came again.

never had sleep paralysis myself
shit creeps the fuck out of me though

Make sure not to read "Communion" by Whitley Strieber if you are prone to sleep paralysis...you might just have nightmares for life. Hehe.

-Joe

I dont get paralasys thankfully, but i do get some scary hallucinations as i drift off to sleep.

it usually happens when i am stressed out. just last night i was about to fall asleep and suddenly the ceiling was covered in bugs and snakes and other scary stuff. i screamed and my girlfriend had to get up and turn on the light to show me that there was nothing there, all the time i was hiding under the blanket insisting that there were things on the ceiling.

there have been loads of incidents that i dont remember, but my girlfriend tells me about it the next morning. i've been found sitting up talking to myself in the dark, sleep walking, and i've jumped out of the bed and hid in a corner of the room because i thought there was a scorpion in the bed. and all the times when i "only" see bugs and other scary things coming at me. my girlfriend is very patient with me :)

So early this morning I experienced something quite odd. I'm laying in my bed, I'm conscious but I can't move any of my limbs. When I try to speak, the only sound that comes out, if any, were murmurs. I also had the feeling that something else was in the room, only visible in my peripheral vision. It only lasted about 10 seconds. Has this happened to anyone else here?

this happenes to me very often.
i wake up and I AM awake but i can't move
or speak and i feel that i am not alone in my room, fucking creepy:erk:

Yes, this happens to me.

It started when I was younger and seems to be happening with less frequency as I get older. I think the last time was several months or perhaps more than a year ago.

The first time it happened was absolutely terrifying. I felt that there were entities in the room with me, and I was overwhelmed with fear and the need to get out immediately.
I could not move my head to look to the foot of the bed, but I could feel and hear movement and thought I heard faint whispering or speaking that I could not make out. I thought that I saw shadows moving across the walls, but I could not attempt to focus on them or move around to follow them, I thought the entities were moving around the room, observing me, perhaps they were about to kill me.
I do not remember feeling the oppressive weight on my chest that others describe, I simply remember being completely paralyzed. I thought that perhaps my body was dead.

I don't recall imagining what I felt was in the room to be aliens or demons, etc. I don't know what I thought they were; my brain didn't make up a solution. I just knew I was afraid.

I can't say that my memory of that first occurance is so vivid, but I've had several other experiences that were similar to that first one, or slight variations. My memories of them are somewhat cumulative I would say.

I ended up researching what was happening to me (the physical aspects) and everything else about it started to make sense too. Once I had a solid understanding of what was happening the potential for these situations to be so terrifying diminished greatly. I knew that none of my senses were working reliably and I couldn't let the potential anxiety of the situation allow them to be steered. I can think of several instances now where I've just closed my eyes and relaxed and literally in a matter of seconds I felt totally normal and fully awake.

I have no doubt that this type of experience explains a great deal about many alien abduction cases, and variations on that theme that have been reported throughout history.
In fact, I feel somewhat lucky to have experienced it myself. It's really pretty fascinating.