sleep paralysis hallucinations

But looking back after learning a bit about it, I think I've probably experienced it off and on for a good part of my life without really knowing it. I used to be a pretty avid sleepwalker as well, though I'm not sure if there's any connection between the two.

I think that maybe because I know a little bit about it, it might not be so fucking terrifying when it happens to me. Like I know that it's completely natural and harmless, etc. That's about it.

Dunno though, cuz it sounds like Ashmare knows a lot about it and it still managed to scare the piss out of him/her. I still want to do it! :)

I have a younger cousin who has a condition which causes seizures when entering or exiting sleep, which - unlike sleep paralysis - is pretty dangerous. Then again, they say sleep paralysis is often hereditary, so there's a pretty good chance somebody else in my family has experienced it and I just don't know about it.

That sucks. :( Does your cousin have to wear a mouthguard type thing every night so he doesn't bite his tongue off? Also are there vivid hallucinations/dreams like with sleep paralysis?

I think what is scary is the fact that when it happens, you aren't really able to tell yourself that it's natural and harmless. There's just this feeling of absolute panic that lasts until you can force yourself to move. Maybe some people are able to understand that it isn't really dangerous while it's happening, but I've never been able to.

As for my cousin, I'm not really sure about the details. They only recently discovered that this was happening to him (he's about 12) and I haven't seen him since they've known about it. I know that a few times he would get up and go into the bathroom before fully waking up and have an attack and hit his head on the tub or something.

My friend started having sleep paralysis in the summer and he said it was terrible and he was afraid to go to sleep. It was happening a few times a week and he ended up going to the doctor to get it checked out. I'll ask him if he's had it since then and if he's been able to calm himself down and maintain composure and all that.

Yeah, when it happened to me really badly during freshman year and I was having it almost every time I went to sleep, I began to dread going to sleep altogether for a little while. It really hasn't been bad in the past year or two. Maybe once a month or so - perhaps not even that often sometimes.

Firedwarf said:
I think that maybe because I know a little bit about it, it might not be so fucking terrifying when it happens to me. Like I know that it's completely natural and harmless, etc. That's about it.

You would think so, but nope. It isn't like lucid dreaming where once you realize it's a dream, you can do or see whatever you feel like and everything's hunky dory. It's nothing but a feeling of absolute panic and dread, and I can't count how many times I felt and believed that I was going to die. It's one thing dreaming about being choked to death by an intruder and then waking up, relieved. It's another thing to be completely awake and aware and still seeing that intruder and still feeling the hands around your neck. At the time, I was absolutely positive that someone had broken into the house, snuck into my room, and was killing me with their bare hands while I laid there helpless. It's mighty terrifying.

Even though I've been doing this for the better part of two decades, I only learned about and identified it a few years ago when I read an interview with Sheryl Crow, who revealed that she too suffers from sleep paralysis.

i've only had this happen to me once (that i remember), a few months back. my boyfriend had just gone to work that morning and i laid back down to go to sleep. just laying there thinking about things, then BAM i can't move, i felt like i couldn't breathe. it felt like there was something hovering over me and i saw like this sorceress surrounded by a gray clouds swirling around her, and a big ball of light in her hands. there was noise, noise i'm not sure what of. but you know when you're hearing something loud and it stops, thats disturbs you. well thats what happened and next thing i know i was out of it, awake. very awake and shaking. thats the only incident of that which i remember.
as for sleepwalking, i only did that once, when i was about 8. at the time i was sleeping in the same bed as my mom, and i remember getting up out of bed and doing this. on the floor i had a cup full of little odds and ends. and i pulled out an orange bouncy ball, thats what i was looking for. my mom asks me what i'm doing and i say "i'm looking for the salve to put on my finger." wtf? hahaha

no one else had the rabbit thing huh?

anyway, i remember studying sleep paralysis in a brain activity clinic during college and it was fairly interesting. i mean essentially when you sleep your brain shuts off your nervous ability to move your body (you should see people who don't, it's crazy), and obviously for the however many thousands of times that you sleep... sometimes the timing for ON and OFF are just not perfect.

i'm just freaked out about the possibility of getting just enough anesthesia to paralyze me but not enough to put me out or stop the pain as they begin to operate. i've read several accounts of that happening and it sounds kind of awful.

I've never achieved any sort of lucid state by trying. The best I've got was just very life-like dreams in which I am in control for as long as can keep the fine balance of knowing I am in control, but not thinking about it. The one guide which I bothered to read just seemed like too much work for -what is my uneducated oppinion- is little profit. I'm afraid I'm probably not cool enough to do anything more interesting while sleeping than sleep.

I could never get sleep paralysis, I'm always aware of my body or something when I'm sleeping. For the same reason, I never snore.

nightmare-L.jpg

Sleep Paralysis icon, by the way. The Nightmare, by Henry Fuseli.