sleep disturbances

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
so it seems as if right now quite a lot of people i know (including myself :( ) are having problems with sleep disturbances.

personally, i'm having quite a hard time to fall asleep, and i'll often wake up after like 2 hours, only to lie awake for 1-2 hours, and so on...

so, i wonder if any of you guys has/had similar problems, and what's the antidote of your choice??

so far, the only thing that really works for me is going to bed LATE (like 2-3am), and quite a few beers before that.....not really an everyday option as you might imagine :D

I only sleep bad if I have something on my mind. I learnt to cope with that by using alcohol in those situations though. When I was at uni before major exams sometimes I would certainly sink a whisky or two before sleep.

Exercise and healthy diet. If that doesn't do it alone . . .

A few beers and a bit of weed should do it.:D

Chamomile Tea gets me pretty sleepy too.

I do all of the above.

I can only speak for myself, but while in school i had some problems to fall asleep in time.
Works for me: sports (!), (physical) work (!), get up before 10 p.m., go to sleep before a certain point. It depends, but if i stay awake for too long, i can't fucking sleep any more. It's about 2 a.m. for me. First i'm very tired and then i'm suddenly awake (good for going out but not if you want to / have to sleep).

Oh yeah, and of course: fapping. Makes fucking tired, too :lol: :lol:

I've had sleep disturbances off and on for a few years.

Try Kava tea, and Melatonin. I've yet to dabble with Sominex's and Ambien's.

Sometimes it gets really bad, I'll just take a healthy swig of Nyquil and let the stuff do it's thing.
Usually when I'm depressed, or over excited I'm doomed to not sleep.

Best thing to do is get a dark room to sleep in, with NO tv. Get off the computer an hour before you want to go to sleep. The bright lights keep you awake. I usually drink an assload of water, and I try and cut myself off from civilization. Sometimes problems with family or girls or whatever just makes it worse.

As of right now, I'm haven issues with upcoming shenanigans, and girls, and money so I can't sleep unless I almost knock myself out with a plank of wood.

Is because NASA detoned a bomb in the moon, the moon went out of it´s orbit a little, and that`s why more people now are having hard times to sleep:rolleyes:

i've had sleeping issues for years. i'm taking 10mg of ambien at nights now. i usually get @6hrs of uninterrupted sleep and the last couple of hours i may toss and turn a bit or not.

the stuff is funny at first. you kind of check out before you are actually asleep. like, you have no memory of what happened about 10min before you fell asleep. total blank slate. i've never had the hallucinations or sleep walking some talk about, though.

I go through phases of being able to sleep and getting little or no sleep. Nyquil works on occasion. Tried sleeping pills for the first time last night, didn't do anything other than make me feel disoriented when i got out of bed this morning after no sleep. I'm going to try some different things and ill post if anything helps.

Ive been having the same problem i fall asleep fine but wake up every hour on the hour for at least 10 mins si i got some sleepin pills and its been all good since then.

On average (huge disclaimer here...I said AVERAGE) a person's sleep cycle is about 6 hours. In that 6 hours you go through roughly 5 stages of sleep, starting with the most refreshing and light sleep to the longer lasting and deep sleep (when REM happens).

If you get into a regular sleeping schedule, this stays in harmony and if you get a solid 6 hours of sleep the better. Remember, the earlier you go to sleep it works better since physically your body works harder to stay awake after dark. Waking up with the sun is great since it matches your bodies natural waking process. However if you are in an unstable sleep cycle, it gets harder and harder to enter the first stage of sleeping see it through to the end of the 5 stage.

Now to help you GET to that first stage, I recommend the following:

No TV, phone or computer for at least an hour before you try to sleep. They are all mental stimulants that will keep your brain chugging even if your body is exhausted. Calm relaxing music can help as long as it's not main focus (again, it can stimulate your noggin').
Alcohol/Tobacco is both a mental stimulant and muscle relaxer. You feel tired after having alcohol, but your brain gets a charge. Some people are really good at turning off their brains, others aren't. Find out if you can sleep better with or without alcohol. (Don't know about weed, never tried it and never researched it's effects on sleeping)
Mentally gear yourself down. You can't be workin' hard at a paper or doing research and then expect to hit the sack and knock out some z's. I would suggest taking the alcohol (if you so choose) at this point rather then right before you sleep. It'll force your body to relax which in turn can make you sleepy. If you time it right the alcohol's effect on your brain can wear off right before you sleep.

Last but not least there is the tried but true torture method. When you have a weekend or a really easy morning you can afford to bomb, stay up the entire night before and do your regular stuff during the day. This will utterly exhaust your body and mind, and use up any spare energy you would otherwise use to keep you awake (unintentionally, of course). I end up using this one most often. It SUCKS like anything at first, but it gives you blank slate to start working that on the sleep schedule.

I've had insomnia - laid awake until 6 AM when I went to bed at 11 PM for example. A severe case of insomnia... f*cking sucked major elephant duck.

The cure? F*ck everything in the world and say no to all the stupid bullshit you don't want to do in your life. There is always a reason behind this, you've gotta figure it out and eliminate it. Remember though, it's not life-threateningly dangerous to not be able to sleep "well". As long as you get a few hours per day you're fine. Don't feel stressed because you can't sleep, it doesn't really help. Just do whatever you think is fun until you fall asleep. I know people say you shouldn't watch TV and shit before going to bed but seriously, f*ck that.. at least in my case. TV/Computer helps me take my mind off of shit and actually relax, otherwise I stare into the wall and keep thinking about stuff that "needs thinking".

This may sound f-ing stupid.. but ive had sleeping problems all my life, but just a few weeks ago i started taking Vitamine E, and now i just fall asleep as soon as i go to bed!
Although, you should talk to your doctor before taking Vitamine E, as overdosage can cause some serious damage(Internal bleeding, heart attacks etc.).

I had sleep troubles for years. Tried everything, thought I was nuts.

Ends up being the mattress. Bought a decent one recommend by a doctor, and all the problems went away. I go to sleep fast, and wake up feeling rested. My back also feels a million times better.

I can't believe how many people skimp on their bed. Probably one of the most important investments, yet everyone seems to go cheap. I've learned my lesson.

I can't believe how many people skimp on their bed. Probably one of the most important investments, yet everyone seems to go cheap. I've learned my lesson.

Sooooooooo true. I'm one of those people... :( I still sleep in a small "teenager bed". I've been sleeping in it since I was 13 I think hahaha and I'm almost 23 now. It's absurd just to write about it... started lolling IRL just now :D It's so narrow, you can't roll over once or you'll fall off of it. Hoooray! I need a new bed. Maybe if I stopped buying expensive shit like a camera to video log the stuff I'm doing in the rehearsal room... maybe then I could afford a nice bed.

But becoming a YouTube whore is also important, fuck sleep!

I've had insomnia - laid awake until 6 AM when I went to bed at 11 PM for example. A severe case of insomnia... f*cking sucked major elephant duck.

The cure? F*ck everything in the world and say no to all the stupid bullshit you don't want to do in your life. There is always a reason behind this, you've gotta figure it out and eliminate it. Remember though, it's not life-threateningly dangerous to not be able to sleep "well". As long as you get a few hours per day you're fine. Don't feel stressed because you can't sleep, it doesn't really help. Just do whatever you think is fun until you fall asleep. I know people say you shouldn't watch TV and shit before going to bed but seriously, f*ck that.. at least in my case. TV/Computer helps me take my mind off of shit and actually relax, otherwise I stare into the wall and keep thinking about stuff that "needs thinking".

Dude, can I have one of those elephant duck's? :lol:

This may sound f-ing stupid.. but ive had sleeping problems all my life, but just a few weeks ago i started taking Vitamine E, and now i just fall asleep as soon as i go to bed!
Although, you should talk to your doctor before taking Vitamine E, as overdosage can cause some serious damage(Internal bleeding, heart attacks etc.).

True dat. One of my buddies dropped 3 evening primrose a few weeks back and he still hasn't stopped leaking blood from his new vagina.

Anyway, I have the regular sleep trouble, but Damnation (Opeth) usually makes me drift away into a blissful state nice and quick