Slipknot Cover "Disasterpiece" with vocals posted!!!

Hey, so pleased you guys enjoyed this cover, and that the vocals have been made mention, haha, been trying to get my voice "back" in shape from a five year break to finish my e.p....so that means a lot! Thank you :)

reg3n- Vocal chain: sm58 > Presonus Eureka (Comp, EQ) > Presonus FP10...a little post eq, Desser, and a little light post comp,...slightly sent over to an FX track with a light doubler effect. (i felt IOWA was very dry all around, so used this instead of verb, and the FX is REALLY LIGHT, for just a touch of depth)

*note: i do all of this from my bedroom (like most here), and i'm broke, so i try and record a very "dry" vocal signal using a cheap portable desktop vocal booth i made (got the idea somewhere online, hahaha) so i can really manipulate it post recording.
here's a pic.
IMG00221.jpg

it's just a whitmore collapsible box, aucoustic foam at bottom, top, left, right, back, and sm58 on a mini stand and a cheap pop filter, i'm sure you have seen them at one point, haha! cost me only $50, minus shipping, and was really easy to make...i enjoy it :loco:

(posted my "how to," here's the link below for those that "might" be interested in making one :), though i think most you guys here have a MUCh better recording setup than me, and are probably getting a good laugh, chuckle and guffah over this, hahaha)
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...how-to-make-a-portable-desktop-vox-booth.html

Mega Mustaine- drums are DFHS1, and for guitars it was a PODX3 :p
...as for the samples i used from DFHS1, and the POD patch i used, are posted above in response to Teddyboy. :)

The whole cover kickass but the vocals... damn, dude. You´re a hero. Top notch stuff, definitely one of the best I´ve ever heard on this board. I would love to get more details about the vocals. Which EQ frequencies you cutted/boosted for it to suit your voice? Do you feel much difference between the Eureka EQ and the EQ plugin that you used after it? When you track the vocals on that isolation box do you use headphones for monitoring or the studio monitors?

I don´t listen to Slipknot so I thought you had used the original vocal tracks (like those Rock Band rips) while I was listening to your version. Congratulations!

narcossintese-- hahaha, wow dude, thanks! the mic was pretty close to the filter, i also took the front grill off of the mic (i just dug the sound i was getting more), and i stood fairly close to the filter when i was screaming, too close it couldn't take it, i scream loud, :lol:, so it might vary depending on how you project your voice. The Eureka EQ is crap, but i just used the vocal eq and comp pre! hahaha, but it does the job for the broke home recording artist :loco:, and then post eq, i did a high pass at 150hz, for the rest i just played and moved stuff around until it sat in the mix and didn't fight with the snare or guitars. So if i had different instrument eq's, i would probably have done something completely different. hope that answers it dude! and thanks again for the kind words :)

bryan.batiste- Here ya go dude, enjoy!!! these are centered and straight from the mix (master is off)
Disasterpiece_COVEREDbyIDOLER_Toms
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194300/DisasterpieceCover_Slampop_Toms.wav

thanks for listening everyone! :kickass:

narcossintese-- hahaha, wow dude, thanks! the mic was pretty close to the filter, i also took the front grill off of the mic (i just dug the sound i was getting more), and i stood fairly close to the filter when i was screaming, too close it couldn't take it, i scream loud, :lol:, so it might vary depending on how you project your voice. The Eureka EQ is crap, but i just used the vocal eq and comp pre! hahaha, but it does the job for the broke home recording artist :loco:, and then post eq, i did a high pass at 150hz, for the rest i just played and moved stuff around until it sat in the mix and didn't fight with the snare or guitars. So if i had different instrument eq's, i would probably have done something completely different. hope that answers it dude! and thanks again for the kind words :)

I was going to thank you for all the info, but the thread was buried on the third page and I didn´t felt like bumping it just to say thank you. Anyway, someone bumped it, so thank you very much. I did a portable iso booth myself this week to try it : )

Thanks so much guys! :)

TeddyBoy- the drums are DFHS1 (not S2.0 MF! some thought they were the Slipknot drum pre's from MF). i used the Pearl 4 snare, the premiere toms i believe (might have been the Fibes, not sure at this moment, not at home, whichever is more "open and dead" sounding), and the Sonor 1 kick!!! a lot of post eq! :headbang:
the guitars- Ibanez RG w/ emgx's, Pod X3 patch=big bottom amp model, treadplate cab, dynamic mic, tube screamer pedal!

Is that Drumkit From Hell? If so, what's the "S1" part?

I was going to thank you for all the info, but the thread was buried on the third page and I didn´t felt like bumping it just to say thank you. Anyway, someone bumped it, so thank you very much. I did a portable iso booth myself this week to try it : )

hahaha, no sweat dude, glad it got bumped so you could tell me :) yea dude, that ISO booth is great. also, i had my studio cans on while holding the vocal box with the mic in it, and walked around my room very slowly while talking into the mic, and as i walked around my room i would talk into the mic, verbally telling myself where i was in the room at that exact moment while recording myself, AND THEN i listened back to the track and heard where the sweetest sounding spot was in my room...thought i would share that as well! ;)

DanLights is right Slammer88. It's the original Drum Kit from Hell "Superior." it's a beast (like 32 gigs). the thing that sets the actual dfhs programs, especially superior, so far apart from EZ drummer, is that the samples are completely dry and untouched, so you can do SOOOO much more with them, while EZ drummer's samples are already eq'd and compressed etc. NOW, EZ drummer may sound better "out of the box" right away than do the "dry," "untainted" samples from Superior etc. but it really holds you back from doing "your own thing" with them. That's why i just stick with Superior (i also have, and have used S2.0, but i just dig S1 better for some reason).
Also, S1 isn't too easy to find these days since they discontinued it. :cry:

Wow, awesome dude!
I had forgot about slipknot.. damn, havent listened to them in ages.
One of the few modern metal bands i love. :)