SLO100 Clone Finally Done...

WOLFEY!

Do you have a parts list for this thing along with where you bought all the parts?

I'd love to attempt put one of these together and risk killing myself... all kidding aside, I'd love to try this thing...

Yours doesn't look bad at all...

Sign up for the sloclone forums, parts lists and everything else like layouts and schems are on there...... here is the link.....

There are very few discrepancies on the schem and parts list, just make sure you read all the threads before buying it all.

Sure I can. Not sure if it will let you link to it without signing up for the forums, but give it a shot- SLO Schematic

That's the beauty of the SLO, if you ever see a stock one on the inside, you can see why they cost so much. Every wire is placed where they are for a reason. For instance the heater wires are run side by side to each other, so instead of twisting them and looking nasty, they look really good eliminate alot of hum. Here is a pic of a real one-
113.jpg

Damn, yours looks almost as clean. :kickass:

Wolfe,

Whats the reason for that special black wire for the input signal??? I assume it is for a noise reduction. I keep seeing that stuff, but have yet to see a reason for it specifically. Does it have to be used?

Mine is coming along really good :)

Thanks,
Trent

Wolfe,

Whats the reason for that special black wire for the input signal??? I assume it is for a noise reduction. I keep seeing that stuff, but have yet to see a reason for it specifically. Does it have to be used?

The connection between the Input Jack and the first Valve is the most vulnerable to noise/interference being picked up and amplified, so shielded wire is used.

I must have missed this back in 2007. That is pure bad assery.

I am building one from scratch (except for the PCBs) now, I think I should post a thread?

Driller, thanks for the info...I am still learning this stuff while building the amp.

Fuck, I read this thinking it was gonna be a kit that I could built myself - quite a daunting task going from scratch like this!

There are a few people around who sell "everything" needed and you can put it together.

If you get the PCB's it becomes a bit easier also.

No need for a kit...if you got the pcb boards, it is quite easy actually. Just some reading and some patience, and you're ready to go (and you need some basic electronic skills too)

Damn, that is heavy. I love the sound of Soldano stuff but I never thought it'd be "build from scratch-able".
This forum needs a "Home Made Gear" sticky IMHO.

Well done, looks good! :cool:

I may redo a few wires here and there for hum reasons, but otherwise it came out alot better than I thought it would!

For instance the heater wires are run side by side to each other, so instead of twisting them and looking nasty, they look really good eliminate alot of hum.

Actually this is not the recommended wiring for high gain amps and you should twist (I know PITA) heater wires even they are DC or elevated to some positive voltage. Check this discussion.

Actually I went cheap with the transformers. I ordered a set of mercury magnetics transformers, but Weber said it would be a while, so I just bought his cheapo Marshall 100 watt set.

Old Marshall sets works fine, but if you eally go into it later you could also try to find OEI stuff. I liked that best in my first build years ago (don't know if Joe is still in biz.)

Actually this is not the recommended wiring for high gain amps and you should twist (I know PITA) heater wires even they are DC or elevated to some positive voltage. Check this discussion.

I'm sure it's not recommended, but it works fine. We are talking about power tubes here. They aren't as susceptible to heater noise anyway(that's why you never see them even being run off of DC). After 6 builds, I can truly say that every power amp I have has been dead silent, so I'll stick with the straight line wiring :kickass: It works for Diezel, Soldano, and countless other builders.

Wolfe,

Mine is coming along really good :)

Thanks,
Trent

Yeah If you don't use shielded wire at the input, you will get a ton of noise. Also, make sure you put the resistor right on the tube socket. Shielded wire also should be used on the inputs of the next few gain stages. In my new amp builds, I use it on every tube half, just for piece of mind. You ground one end of the shield, and leave the other end floating.

Make sure you use it on the FX loop send/return wires as well.

Hey man nice build. I just finnished a similar turret layout SLOclone myself, but I'm having some issues with hum. I'm suspecting my ground wiring. Would you care to share how you did your ground connections?