Sludge & stoner influenced metal (Bugera, Framus, Big Muff, SSD)

Ronixis

Rocket surgeon
Dec 1, 2006
Finland
This is a brief mixdown of a song couple of my friends wrote. I handled the production. These are guys who listen to bands like Black Cobra, Melvins, Kylesa, Mastodon etc. so we were aiming for a dark and devastating sound whit a modern twist.

Guitars are tuned to B and played through Bugera 6262 -> Framus 2x12" -> SM57

There's also Big Muff in some parts. Drums are Steven Slate drums. I guess they still sound a bit too digital for this style of music.

Here's the song: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/992713/WQ2(SSD).mp3

The drum sounds too digital. The guitar tone isnt bad but really fizzy. Put the LPF a bit lower or cut some fizzy frequencies.

Needs bigger roomier drums IMO :) and a much deeper snare but those guitar tones are fucking MINT.

Stoner bands use a more 70's drum sound , you can try the led zep kit of SSD

I think the guitar tone suits this style pretty well, but what it needs IMO is roomier/"bigger" drum sound and more present bass sound. The guitars are quite overpowering right now.

Good work dude!

I'd say take off all the drumagog/aptrigga/whatever plug ins..
Add shitloads of room to the drumsound, or reverb if you don't have roommics going.
And for a bigmuff the guitarsound is still pretty metalcore aproved or something, i'd make it shittons more dirtyer!
It sounds way to "modern" still.. i dunno..

This song grooves like a preacher before the gates of hell!

I like this guitartone alot, fits the style & wouldn't change anything in it.

The snare is very thin and tinny sounding and needs more velocity surgery on snarefills.
You should definitely try to beef it up with some low-mids + more room.

This song just made my day :headbang: