Dan Spitz Interview on Metal Sludge

I always cringe when I hear or read things like "grunge killed metal". What the fuck?! It was only that the media created another hype and it was clearly up to the listeners which bands they supported back then (with their money). I mean, where did all the people go? Do you think they all died when they first heard Smells Like Teen Spirit? Come on...

You are spot on. Maybe the metal bands themselves at the time should have listened to your advise. Most metal bands changed to a more mainstream sound during this time or just quit altogether.

I personally always listened to metal, hated the alternative and grunge scene except for Alice in Chains. But looking back I'd take Soundgarden and Mother Love bone, Pearl Jam etc over Nu-metal gimmick bands like Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach.

Thankfully there really is not a new 'trend' in the rock music genre that is fucking it up for metal bands. So even bands that previously wussed out like Metallica and Anthrax are back to making heavier/thrashier albums again... hopefully

If you think about it, some of what Spitz said makes sense. Especially about the writing part. Look at everything from Spreading to SOWN, there were certain characteristics that were evident--like hookier choruses(everything up to SOWN), and riffs.And then look at everything after SOWN and those elements are gone. Now could this a be a coincidence? Could be, but it does raise an interesting question

I always cringe when I hear or read things like "grunge killed metal". What the fuck?! It was only that the media created another hype and it was clearly up to the listeners which bands they supported back then (with their money). I mean, where did all the people go? Do you think they all died when they first heard Smells Like Teen Spirit? Come on...
Johnnie you are EXACTLY right and reinforce my point, the media created the hype. Unfortuneately the majority of music "fans" buy into that shit and abandon bands that are still making great music. Anthrax although changing with the times was still making GREAT music, even if only a few of us still appreciate it today. You're right grunge killed nothing, the media and MTV did by brainwashing kids, leaving Cobain's legacy to be nothing but a signed puppet with no talent. And a heroin problem (fail!) That's why I've been posting here for ten years everyone here is a real fan and not some "whatever is cool" fan, ALL Anthrax' music has stood the test of time and if you're still posting here in 2011 then you haven't abandoned this band like so many before, I ain't going nowhere (sorry for my grammar I live in the south) :D

Certainly not an album I would claim to have written. Bad album, low album sales, nothing to gain by claiming that :D

Album sales..... why do you keep harping on about album sales? Will the new Anthrax record sell more than S442? Who really cares? Some of the best records in metal these days struggle to sell 20K copies. What does that mean about the quality of the music? Oh that's right....fuck all.

That was my point in the other thead - people laugh about the 20 Questions he did, but I don't quite see why.

Yeah, I never understood why either. Seems to make alot of sense. Very candid interview. Doesn't really try to sugar coat anything or hold back much and make it look obvious that he's holding back. (will we ever find out why the fuck all us loyal fans hung around, waited on an album only to have a singer scrapped right before final mixing of the album?).

I was skeptical about John Bush at first, yet I liked it. I gotta admit that it seems wierd, a Joey fronted Anthrax without Spitz. I guess since the album was already done with Rob, Spitz is out of the question. But it's like Caggiano becomes the fat kid in Van Halen that replaced Michael Anthony a few years ago when VH reunited with David Lee Roth.

So would I. I thought Wolfie's back up singing was on point. Don't know about his playing.

I'm not slagging on Rob's skills as a musician, guitarist, or producer. He's just not Dan Spitz.

Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen is almost like Eddie or Alex not being in Van Halen. That is total bs. If you are going to do new Van Halen tours and Van Halen studio albums Michael Anthony NEEDS to be part of it. He is the foundation of that band and his vocals are more important that most people even know. Eddie Van Halen must be a total prick to deal with. He and Scat should form a band together

I have to agree, Michael Anthony is so f'n under rated. His harmonies are the glue of VH, not to mention his bass playing.

At least its another person with the Van Halen last name that replaced him.... but still.

Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen is almost like Eddie or Alex not being in Van Halen. That is total bs. If you are going to do new Van Halen tours and Van Halen studio albums Michael Anthony NEEDS to be part of it. He is the foundation of that band and his vocals are more important that most people even know. Eddie Van Halen must be a total prick to deal with. He and Scat should form a band together

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/musici...IS_scott+ian+halen_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Red-My-Uncensored-Life-Rock/dp/0062009281/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301049890&sr=1-1[/ame]

(Search inside the book "foreword", the when it doesn't let you read anymore, exit amazon.com, go back and search "gary cherone joined".)