Terasophe Reviews - #1: Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics

Sophii

lil' rat
Dec 28, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ahh, I miss reviewing! Many years ago in my adolescence I reviewed a few albums on a Tumblr page I had. Then I realized how terrible that site is and ever since I've stayed away from reviewing.

Well that changes today. I will start a series of reviews covering some of my favorite releases, and eventually covering recommended albums. Today, I will be covering ACID BATH - PAGAN TERRORISM TACTICS.

Dax Riggs - Vox
Mike Sanchez - Guitar
Sammy Duet - Guitar, Vox
Audie Pitre - Bass, Vox
Jimmy Kyle - Drums
*Tommy Viator - Keyboards (not on the album, but is worth noted that he toured with the banf was a close follower)

PaeganTerrorismTactics.jpg

ACID BATH was a staple in the development of NOLA Sludge/Doom Metal, along with Crowbar, Eyehategod, Soilent Green, and to some extent Exhorder (they played a big role in Louisiana underground metal in general.) However, Acid Bath was very off from the rest. They didn't find New Orleans as their distinct home, rather the bog around it. Much of Acid Bath's themes differed from the rest, focusing on doom-occult themes and hallucinogen tranced ravings on murder and psychosis.

Pagan is their second release (I will eventually cover When the Kite String Pops.) and draws on more refined, yet very split sounds on the record. Some moments on this album are pure southern sludge at its core such as BLEED ME AN OCEAN or the opening PAGAN LOVE SONG. Other parts of the album show that the band were having some obvious complications on sound, with some of the album split between Black Metal-fueled tracks (that would eventually lead to Sammy forming Goatwhore) and softer Psychadelic Rock tracks. The more extreme tracks like DIAB SOULE and 13 FINGERS show the more blackened tinged sounds, where as GRAVEFLOWERS and NEW DEATH SENSATION glide in waves of psychadelia; an audio kaleidoscope if you will.

There isn't really a bad song on the album. There are a few interludes that can be easily skipped, but upon listening you find yourself horrified by Dax's spoken chants of occult rituals and vivid psychosis in OLD SKIN. It paints a horrid picture of dismembering an old wise hermit and using his body for ritual. Truly a picture to stay burned into your brain.

Acid Bath, just like with their last release, are no hold bars on genuine musicianship and songwriting craft. Unfortunately, shortly after this album their bassist would die in a drunk driving incident that also costed his parents life. After his death, they would soon split and never embark on the history of Acid Bath, but rather form their own projects in great success.