Dan Spitz Interview on Metal Sludge

So you finally fired Joey or did he left by himself?

We had just signed to Elektra which was huge for us, finally we were on the biggest record label in the world, they gave us all the money in the world that we need and we just didn't see, the way heavy metal was at that given point in time, that Joey's voice would fit. That boy can sing Journey, that boy can sing Bad Company, that boy can sing opera, he's feeling confined having to sing 7000 words in one line of a song where he can't utilize his voice properly, so he's feeling contricted as well as I was a little bit. At the same time the band's trying to show him you have to sing this, here's the music, we're finished now Joey, here's the melody line we hum for you and here's the words. Joey's not so educated schoolwise, so it's a difficult process, very lengthy difficult process. It was just clashing all the time to the point where we just.. In this band majority rules, three people vote, we can do anything we want, any three people, it's a band, it's the way it always was, we learned that from Van Halen, split up all the money even, majority rules on everything. So, majority rules, not my vote, was to let Joey go, I vote the other way. Same for John Bush, "Get John Bush in the band!". I voted no.
You never liked him too much then?

A few things. One, I think we didn't try enough singers. Two, it was a preconceived notion of some people in this band that because he had turned Metallica down in the early days, he'd be the golden boy and he had the golden voice, and the direction that the music was going to in that time period, a lot of Seattle grunge just kinda ending and fizzling out, no one wanted to hear someone who could sing. Anthrax music was getting heavier or aggressive even, it was just what we had in us, it was just a changing of the guard that I was not happy with at all. John is a great guy personally, killer guy, but as far as my music, fuck no. I write dynamic, he has to be able to sing.

One of the most honest answers given to that questions.

It funny how some here have labelled him as "crazy" because he gives brutally honest answers as opposed to the contradicting flip flop answers from Charlie / Scott concerning Joey's departure.

Reactions: n0tmanthrax
Spitz has no Time for Anthrax, he is too busy fixing Stormc(l)ock's toothed wheels.

Is that supposed to be an insult to someone? Dan or me, or both? Please explain how that is any insult to anyone.

An insult to me, how? Because I've retained the services of an ex Anthrax guitar player to repair my watch? How the fuck could you see that as being something to berate me about?

You must be the most retarded guy I've ever come across on any forum. Are you doing it on purpose? I find it difficult to believe anyone could be as stupid as you and still be able to work a keyboard.

dude, i often try to be more stupid than you but unfortunately i fail every time.

by the way: a Black- and Death Metal-fan who likes Metallica's 'Mama said' can't be taken seriously anyway, that's what i call irritating.

Michael Anthony created much of the Van Halen sound, both with his awesome bass playing, and his harmonized background vocals. No MA in VH is total bullshit. Ed & Alex fucked him over worse than Scott & Charlie have fucked over every singer they worked with.

Michael Anthony created much of the Van Halen sound, both with his awesome bass playing, and his harmonized background vocals. No MA in VH is total bullshit. Ed & Alex fucked him over worse than Scott & Charlie have fucked over every singer they worked with.

What's even worse is that Michael Anthony's never said a single bad word about that dumbass kid who replaced him. He actually said that Wolfgang's a good kid and he's interested to hear the new VH album. How does Wolfgang repay the nice things Mike's said about him? He re-tweets a comment saying "Wolfgang is better than Michael Anthony". What a classy kid, Eddie must be proud. The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. Fuck VH IV.