circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Slumber – Fallout
Candlelight Records – CDL189 – March 22nd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

karma062.jpg

I know you’re familiar with those stupid analogies that go something like the following: Band A sounds like Aborted and Coldplay having a cookout together while Soilwork bungee jump from a helicopter being piloted by Rhapsody, who keep pictures of Bathory in their wallets. I’ll spare you the long, drawn-out comparisons and simply state that Slumber’s Fallout would perhaps be the result of Katatonia and Novembre joining forces to craft a gothic doom metal album. Matter of fact, even more notable is that this particular record is the Swedish band’s debut, though it is a re-recording of their Dreamscape and Seclusion demos sans “Fallout.”

I greatly enjoyed the opener known as “Rapture,” as it enters with bombastic drums but quickly simmers into a melancholy-laden session. The use of synthesizers is masterful, and the latter is most noticeable when haunting piano melodies fill background void. “Conflict” boasts all of the aforementioned characteristics, as well as providing further evidence of the drummer’s skills. And, “Conflict” and “A Wanders Star” have harmonies that distinctly draw influence from Katatonia. I get my sense of Novembre from “Where Nothing was Left.” The double-bass, one of my favorite musical tools, is heavily present, which adds immeasurable strength to Slumber’s wall o’ sound. Female vox also make appearances on Fallout and – again – add to the overall feeling of sadness that arises from the Swedes. If I were to complain (and I will right here), I absolutely have to admit that I don’t like the vocalizations being as far back in the mix as they are. In other words, I wanted the growls to be featured rather than blended, a la Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, ex-Bloodbath). At seven tracks, though, Fallout only runs past the thirty-seven minute mark.

In spite of their brevity, Slumber are worthy of whatever praise they receive, and judging by the merits of Fallout, they’re going to get a gamut of it. I’d ignore their inability to catch your eye (i.e. average cover art, uninteresting band name, and banal album title), because this brand of gothic doom metal is one that I’d proudly bellow if/when given the opportunity.

8.5/10

Official Slumber Website
Official Candlelight Records Website