Sm Pro Audio V-machine..Impulse Response solution..Yes or No?

Petar

Aug 6, 2006
Seems like this might be the ultimate solution for live usage of impulses...!
:kickass:

It is the ONLY unit that i know of within the price range at around 450 euros, that can be used as Impulse loader..(which, compared to the other units which can do this, like Axe FX, V-pedal..and other even more expensive, makes it really affordable).
btw- i am well aware of many other possibilities of all aforementioned units, besides IR loading..but, i am focusing at IRs here..

Two main things that would be THE most important for IR loader, in my eyes, (besides, of course the sturdiness and other similar live usage demands) would be:

1. no latency (well, the least possible at least..)
2. possibility of using Multiple IRs in parallel

Quickly reading through the manual, it seems like it can use 4 VST channels in one preset (with further possibility of few more additional VSTs for each of the basic VSTs..not sure how much and how..something like that..anyway, i know its totally 21 VSTs in one preset max, depending on the internal CPU usage, IIRC..blah blah..there's all in the pdf manual)..

So, i guess that multiple IRs at the same time are the possibility..if those 4 VSTs are run in parallel, which seems logical to me to be the case..

But, i have no idea concerning potential latency issues..i am well aware that using more-than-one IR makes things more difficult for the CPU..just, not sure how much difficult..? if 4 are not possible, then..how much..? 3..2..
I wasn't able to find any info on the net concerning v-machine/IRs.. waiting for an e-mail from SM Pro Audio on that matter..

Just to clear/sum things up,
THIS would be :worship: :

4 keFIRs (or Vboogex/SIR), at the same time/in parallel, no latency => :OMG:

But, what's possible; hoping to find out..
2, 3 instead of 4 is also great..when speaking of 4, thinking about it more as a possibility than actually a need..

So,
all of the ideas, thoughts, information and opinions are appreciated ..

:kickass:

Yeah...it will handle them. In a regular computer your processor is doing a LOT more than just handling that IR plug-in and processing the signal with it. It's also running an OS, it's running any background apps you've got going, it's got your DAW going, any other plugs, etc. The V-Machine is very simple and does only one thing - run VSTs and VSTis. The latency should be pretty much zilch from what I hear. I was looking at the floor POD looking version for live use but...I have a real amp/cab that are great so it's more of a gimmick than necessity for my needs. Then I also thought about getting the big rack version to use on projects, running ReValver from it :D

Thanks for the insight, 006..
i was thinking the same about all the things an ordinary computer is "doing" , besides running the IR, while its running one..
still, cannot be 100% sure about that v-machines handling potential, especially concerning running multiple IRs in parallel..
and i need to be 100% sure..

Best way to find it out would be to try it out..
Second best thing would be to find someone who owns it, to share his experience..
i have tried, and i am still trying concerning that..but still no luck..
waiting the mail from the SM Pro audio support..they are going to test v-machine, with running multiple (2,3,4) keFIRs, and let me know about the results..
i definitely need to be sure concerning that..better safe, than sorry..

oh,
if you are satisfied with your rig, and you are free of transportation-and-similar usual potential issues..just stick with it.. ;)
and when you got some money to spare, give it a shot..

"The latency should be pretty much zilch from what I hear."

Can you share some resources where you've found info like that..also, what would be considered a "zilch"...how many milliseconds..? tanx..

Does anyone from here has any experience any of the V-machine products..? or at least had chance to try it..? or simply knows someone who has.. :)
any thoughts and ideas on this topic, and in general, concerning "IRs live usage", are very welcome..!

Thanks for chiming in man..
That 3ms interval is referring for general use of V-machine,with whatever VST/VSTi..or for IRs in particular..?
I guess that it would increase with more than one (4 max) IR run in parallel..?

this is only info concerning V-machine's latency i was able to find so far..but it doesn't help much, cause i do not know at what exact using conditions it is that much as they refer..

The V-Machine boasts a 1 Ghz CPU, 512 MB RAM (upgradeable), a 1 GB upgradeable Flash memory, 24 bit/192 kHz DAC, external USB 2.0 Hard Drive and Flash Drive support giving you enough power to play back even the largest plug-ins. A low 1.5 ms latency provides a satisfying experience for players. It has 3 USB Ports, 1 Midi, 1 Audio input jack, stereo 1/4" outs and headphone outs with seperate volume control.

¯\(°_o)/¯

(finally chance to use this..its ingenious! :p )

Does anyone know when they are going to release the V-Pedal or V-Rack?

i guess that SM pro audio official newsletter would be the fastest solution..or it least should be..
but, i think that i have read in some forum that V-machine was released earlier than planned..
not too sure about that, though..