SM57 versus Heil PR-20 test

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
6505 into Marshall 1960bx (G12m-25 Greenbacks) TS808 blah blah.

Not the same position, just trying to find a decent tone for each mic.

PR20

SM57

2014-08-2512%2016.06.20.jpg

I like the low end of the PR20 more, but it sounds like you got a bit of fizz in there so like someone said, LPF or just some tweak on the placement.

Here's an "unfizzed" version. I used a shelve cause I don't like the sound of low pass filters.

I realize you'd probably get the wrong impression that the PR-20 is fizzier than a 57 while it's not. It's probably more of a placement issue.

I only had it for a few days but I think it's a good all round mic so far.

I've had the PR20 and PR40 for a few years now, the PR20 is way more detailed in the high end than a 57, but that can make source tracks have more energy up there but with placement like you said and some basic eq - good shit. Use it on snares too. The unfizzed version already sounds better. The 57 has that more boxed in sound, the pr20 seems more open in the mids.

PR20 sounds more mid-centric, and has a nice bump in the range where you really want to hear guitars.
The 57 has that typical hollow airiness in the upper mids/lower highs that I'm forever having to EQ the shit out of when compared to the Heil.

I prefer the sm57 most. Nice tones both though. I'd be very interested in guitar-only clips.