SM58 Kick Drum

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Okay I'm probably gonna get some real flak for this. Anyways, here goes. Last night i was doing some drum tracking and I decided that i was going to 100% replace the kick before hand. So I put a roland trigger on the kick, and i also through a SM58 inside pointed at the beater. When I listened back to the tracks I noticed that I really liked the sound of kick drum, it lacked a lot of low end so I threw an eq up added a bit of bottom end. I really liked the sound of my kick drum. I still lacks a touch of low end but the upper snap sounded perfect. Has anyone ever tried a SM58 with a Subkick? I don't have a subkick but thought this might be an interesting combo.

I also have an SM7b and lots of 57's. Not sure what it was?? But it just seemed to sit so nice.

I haven't tried it in conjunction with a subkick, but I've recorded kick with a 58, 57, and lots of their knock offs and sometimes you can get pretty good results. I'm not usually recording metal, but some of the music is pretty heavy and sometimes for the heavier shit I like to use these types of mics. I have an old dinosaur of a mixer that has some nice low-end shelving and if I record with one of the above mentioned mics on kick I add a nice bit of weight on the way in. I have to notch out some low-end frequencies and other general sculpting with a plug, but I'm usually happy with the results. Its not a sound I reach for constantly, but sometimes its exactly what I want.

I've definitely done this with the intention of replacing the kick. Most times, the 58 winds up being blended in anyway. It's boxy, but somehow/sometimes it works.

I LOVE the idea of pairing it with a subkick, I'll have to try that!