sm7B or sm7 ?

sorceron

ken
Jul 20, 2005
nyc
www.myspace.com
I need to get an sm7 but all they have available at stores is the sm7b. i know the sm7b is slightly different in design but has anyone heard the difference in the two? basically im just trying to get some opinions before i go ahead and get one and if its not as good ill have to start looking on ebay for the sm7.

thanks

From what I understand the original SM7 has very low output, so you need a pre with a lot of gain power. The SM7B is supposedly nearly identical in sound, only has a hotter output. But don't take me 100% on that, it's just from what I understand.

~006

006 said:
From what I understand the original SM7 has very low output, so you need a pre with a lot of gain power. The SM7B is supposedly nearly identical in sound, only has a hotter output. But don't take me 100% on that, it's just from what I understand.

~006

They both have very low output, so you need a good pre for both. SM7B supposedly has hotter output though, I never checked this out but it's what "they" say.

Edit: The SM7 manual says:
Open Circuit Voltage* – 79.0 dB
and SM7B says:
Open Circuit Voltage* – 59.0 dB

The frequency response curves are identical in both manuals

Yeah, I'm only going by word of mouth information. I haven't heard anything "official" though.

~006