Smartphone choice

If the One X is too big, then go for the still-awesome One S (stock ICS, 4.3" QHD screen, dual-core) - also, as far as I know all Android phones need to be rooted to manually update the software, which doesn't seem worth it to me (and when a phone is locked or unlocked, that has nothing to do with the software version, but rather whether it will accept a SIM from any carrier, rather than just to one that you bought the phone from)

From what I read, the U.S. version of the One X will have the same processor as the One S, but the One S has a certain type of screen that makes icons and text appear jagged around the edges and a lot of people can't stand it. I haven't seen it first hand to know how bad it is, but saw a lot of people complaining about it online.

It's just QHD versus the SuperLCD2 on the One X, which is no contest.

By the way, just announced today by Samsung themselves, the Galaxy S3 will have a 1.4GHz Exynos 4 quad-core processor. Pretty slick.

From what I read, the U.S. version of the One X will have the same processor as the One S, but the One S has a certain type of screen that makes icons and text appear jagged around the edges and a lot of people can't stand it. I haven't seen it first hand to know how bad it is, but saw a lot of people complaining about it online.

It's just QHD versus the SuperLCD2 on the One X, which is no contest.

Nah, there's more to it then that - the One S screen is indeed qHD (960x540) vs. 720p (though it's less of an issue because the screen is smaller), but also, the One S uses the controversial PenTile subpixel matrix, where each pixel has two green subpixels and only one red and blue (so RGBG, rather than the traditional RGB). Many recent phones have used it on their screens (original Galaxy S, Droid X2/Razr/MAXX/Bionic) as it's apparently cheaper and slightly more battery efficient, bur also makes everything (especially text and bright objects with straight edges) look slightly grainy (and at lower brightness settings everything has a greenish tint). Here's a couple of links describing it:

http://www.oled-info.com/pentile
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/8/2547725/a-closer-look-at-the-droid-razrs-screen (the Razr's screen is identical spec-wise to the One S)

However, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me honestly, cuz it's still shits all over the Xperia Arc S in every other way! (processor, RAM, camera, software version)

MY BAD BRO.

I'm aware of the cons of pentile. It would totally be a deal breaker for me. Same specs for the same price but a way better screen if you go with the X over the S. AT&T>T-Mo anyway.

Naturally, though I was more speaking to the Europe-dwelling OP (who feels the One X is too big) - also, turns out the quad-core Exynos in the GSIII is based on the older ARM A9 architecture (vs. the Snapdragon S4, which is a brand-new architecture by Qualcomm based on ARM licenses), and according to this, the US GSIII may also have an S4 (like the US One X), which should make things very interesting!

there aren't enough phones out there (especially inexpensive ones) that run stock Android rather than having a manufacturer-imposed UI, which is usually the source of the problems (in the last year or so, LG has been the worst with this, HTC in a distant second) - anything with stock Android 2.3 or 4.0 and at least a 1 Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM should be fine though
Cool. This a fair distinction I was unaware of. I thought they were all customizing the code hence the hilarious variety in reliability.

Jan [MTW];10266813 said:
...Nobody?

Guess I'll just quote myself:

If the One X is too big, then go for the still-awesome One S (stock ICS, 4.3" QHD screen, dual-core) - also, as far as I know all Android phones need to be rooted to manually update the software, which doesn't seem worth it to me (and when a phone is locked or unlocked, that has nothing to do with the software version, but rather whether it will accept a SIM from any carrier, rather than just to one that you bought the phone from)

And add that it's mostly due to the manufacturer in the case of phones that are sold unlocked, and about 50/50 manufacturer/carrier with contract phones (and the reason is simply to make sure they have a stable build before releasing it, there's nothing insidious behind it)

EDIT: Actually, now I see what you mean - I guess when you say "locked" you mean "carrier-branded" (and sold with a contract); not totally accurate though, because even if you were to unlock a carrier-branded phone it still probably wouldn't be able to use the ICS build for the factory-unlocked version because the carriers usually optimize certain aspects of the software for their network (which is why, again, it's better to wait for the official ICS release...or buy a newer, better phone that comes with it stock ;))

(which is why, again, it's better to wait for the official ICS release...or buy a newer, better phone that comes with it stock ;))

So in this article it is stated that the official release for the Xperia series should come soon. That would mean, if I buy the Xperia S with a contract and Android 2.3 Gingerbread now, I would still be able to update to ICS even if my phone is locked?!

It's exactly because android is a linux based system that it makes me tired right from the beginning.

From a developper / geeky person point of view who is okay spending time on his phone instead of using it from the very beginning, I totally understand. But now, even if I'm a geek myself and have been even more in the past, I just fucking don't have the time for that, hence why the apple products (except the ipod which right from the beginning was a joke considering the main thing it is supposed to do - playing music - is a fail cause it doesn't stand against the competition on the sound quality) are so interesting, and are worth my money if they are like that.

I have had bad experiences coming from my friends from the android world. They weren't on a galaxy II and all, but that's this inconsistency that some people don't really like. At least with apple, depending on the generations, you might not always have the top notch - specs wise - but you'll almost never have a big surprise. Even when I buy the new version, the process of transferring all data takes a few minutes, and I can go out right away with a new phone already good to go with absolutely 100% of my settings, pictures, videos, apps, unchanged. Some people including me are really okay to pay more for that.

You make it sound like you really need to tinker with android devices 24/7 to make them work. Reality: you don't. I didn't tinker with mine at all and it works like a charm. The fact that you have possibility to do it is what matters (fact which is used by suprisingly many). Same with Linux - Ubuntu distribution is already kind of plug and play system where you might not need to enter the shell(console) at all. But you still have option to do it and tweak. Hell, even mac os is based on Unix just like Linux (but it doesn't give you as much freedom as Linux distributions).

Yes of course it's exagerated, but it's also what all android users always put as an argument. I understand android, but it annoys me when people compare apple to android products as simply as "look, this is $150 cheaper and it still does 8mpx pictures, has apps too, weights less" because it's not the same deal you make. Of course you pay the brand, but in this "fee" you also pay the fact that apple will give you a new iphone hand to hand if ever yours got broken (a friend just spilled coffe on hers, she was lucky cause it didn't touch the little paper probe that proves a phone has been underwater, and they gave her a new iphone eventhough she didn't even bought it in this very store or didn't have the bill with her). You also pay the cost of the $500M servers for iCloud, the apple services, stuff like that. I think it's always totally unfair to just compare specs and prices. I mean, now I take a picture on my iphone and it's pushed to iPhoto on my laptop a few seconds later. If someone steals it I can track it through the GPS on the iCloud website and lock/call/erase it. The fact there is only 1 type of apple phones makes it easy to develop accessories to it, so I got an extra cell that fits as an iphone cover, so it gets double battery and I am able to use it even with internet during a whole 3 days outdoor festival. I also still feels the ergonomy is superior, the way it responds to fingers is smoother, but that might be totally personal. A lot of details like that, that cost $$ of course because nothing is free, but are worth it imo, it's a business model.

I've never used my laptop so much and been as productive as I am now on my MBP than I have ever been with my 2 previous laptops, of which one of them simply burnt after 2 years. I know I'm not talking about the iPhone now but it's pretty much the same deal in all their products (again, I don't get the ipod which makes no sense out of pure marketing imo)

On the linux topic though, after a few years using it and loving it for several reasons (several distribs but mostly ubuntu or kubuntu) : it's not true you'll never have to enter the code, and in fact, it can - i say can - be even more annoying than windows to fix. Like, once, I installed it on a friend's computer, nothing special, a normal computer, and it wouldn't mount his logical disks. Had to research how to enter the code in whatever system file it was, annoying as hell and an informatics noob will never ever be able to do it himself ! Overall I still consider macos more user-friendly, eventhough I still love W7 and keep it as a dualboot, and have an ubuntu CD just in case I need to boot and fix something on any computer. Linux is the best if you wanna be legit and cheap, otherwise I don't see the point at least at the moment.

MacOs is indeed an unix OS family, way less open, but I'm okay it is because it's also what makes apple able to unify his whole line of products and therefore makes it the best playground for professional developpers. Then it's a matter of taste to like this fact or not.

Yes of course it's exagerated, but it's also what all android users always put as an argument. I understand android, but it annoys me when people compare apple to android products as simply as "look, this is $150 cheaper and it still does 8mpx pictures, has apps too, weights less" because it's not the same deal you make. Of course you pay the brand, but in this "fee" you also pay the fact that apple will give you a new iphone hand to hand if ever yours got broken (a friend just spilled coffe on hers, she was lucky cause it didn't touch the little paper probe that proves a phone has been underwater, and they gave her a new iphone eventhough she didn't even bought it in this very store or didn't have the bill with her). You also pay the cost of the $500M servers for iCloud, the apple services, stuff like that. I think it's always totally unfair to just compare specs and prices. I mean, now I take a picture on my iphone and it's pushed to iPhoto on my laptop a few seconds later. If someone steals it I can track it through the GPS on the iCloud website and lock/call/erase it. The fact there is only 1 type of apple phones makes it easy to develop accessories to it, so I got an extra cell that fits as an iphone cover, so it gets double battery and I am able to use it even with internet during a whole 3 days outdoor festival. I also still feels the ergonomy is superior, the way it responds to fingers is smoother, but that might be totally personal. A lot of details like that, that cost $$ of course because nothing is free, but are worth it imo, it's a business model.

Fair enough, both have their pluses and minuses. I don't like Apple that much but I have to give it to them - they don't let carriers mess up with the software. This is their real strong point as carriers tend to add bloat very often(always).

As a sidenote, Mozilla (yes, the Firefox dudes) is planning on releasing their own mobile OS. They are already signed with LG. They want to give total control to carriers with this OS so I expect it to fail miserably.

As for me my perfect mobile OS would be MeeGo, too bad it "died". It's like actual linux distribution. Android claims to be one but you are limited to Java programming with this terribly ineffective JNI for native code snippets.

About that i still dont really get why so many companies even try to compete on the mobile Os market. I understand they wanna give it a try, but they are heading against apple, google, microsoft, android.. !

About android, is that right that since a little time ago, when you buy an android phone, you're actually paying royalties to Microsoft ? I think I read Microsoft bought many things recently in the market, including a lot of patents, so Android is not free anymore because its code uses patented code now owned by Microsoft.

Hats off to Apple's warranty. My iPhone 4's home button started to feel kinda sticky at times, so last weekend I took it to the retailer to get it serviced. Four days later they called me and handed me a brand new iPhone instead. Back in my Nokia days, whenever my phone stopped working (every model at least three times during the first two years), it took them anywhere from two to four weeks to get it fixed and 50% of the time they didn't fix the problem. My fiancé had a similar experience with her first Samsung smartphone.

Also, having spent a while with an Android phone again, the market is a joke. There's a plethora of applications in there, and 99% of them are such sorry excuses of programming it makes me wonder if there's any quality control procedure in the Android market at all. Does every single submitted app get through or something?

Furthermore, I had to reboot the Huawei piece of shit THREE TIMES to be able to even get the ringtones working. Navigation completely refused to function. The touch keyboard acted completely randomly. When calling someone, the sound was distorted beyond comprehension on about every second call. For one reason or another, the phone refused to stop displaying Washington weather and time on main screen no matter how many times I changed it. I use my phone for a lot of work related stuff, so if I had to rely on such an awkward, unintuitive and unresponsive design in my daily life, I'd probably go back to communicating only by letters.

Hate speech over. Get an iPhone.

The apple warranty was a big weigh in the balance for my purchase of a new laptop when I knew I was going to work abroad most of the time, cause it can be such a problem having a laptop/phone crash when you are in a random country, heading to another one every other week.

Jarkko : I think you were quite unlucky with your huawei, I don't think you can make it a general opinion on android phones. I do agree though that the inconsistency of that market is something to consider

Jarkko : I think you were quite unlucky with your huawei, I don't think you can make it a general opinion on android phones. I do agree though that the inconsistency of that market is something to consider

Like I said, I have plenty of experience with Android phones. I've owned a HTC Desire HD, and used other HTC's, a Samsung Galaxy S and ZTE Blade among others. Granted, not all of them have been as buggy as the Huawei, and the Desire HD was actually a pretty solid phone, but the counter-intuitiviness (is that a word?) and horrible apps were common to all of them :/