snare mic'ing techniques, looking for 2 on top or 3 (2 top, 1 bottom)

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
can anyone help me find some articles about micing a snare drum with two mic's on top and one on bottom

i can't find anything because google thinks im either searching for 2 mics (top and bottom), or micing a whole drum set with just 3 mics
:confused:

I had an email session with Stav a few years back and he told me that he ALWAYS double mics the top snare. He uses 2 different as possible mics, a dynamic and a condenser side by side as close to each other as you can without them touching with the diaphragms equal distance from the snare. something like a 57 and a rode NT5 works amazingly well.
He then just mics bottom as usual. (sometimes not at all)
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

I had an email session with Stav a few years back and he told me that he ALWAYS double mics the top snare. He uses 2 different as possible mics, a dynamic and a condenser side by side as close to each other as you can without them touching with the diaphragms equal distance from the snare. something like a 57 and a rode NT5 works amazingly well.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
thats the type of info im looking for...

anyone got more?

and sorry to be a newb but who is stav

Don't think there'd be any specific techniques, apart from making sure they're in phase. Maybe use one on the side? But I've always gotten really thin, phasey results (even with 1 mic) that way.

What I've seen in a ton of studio pictures is an SDC taped to a 57 and pointed at the same spot. Might also want to PM Dave Otero, or see if he stops in - he's used a 57 and AE3000 on top for literally all of the projects I've edited for him.

Don't think there'd be any specific techniques, apart from making sure they're in phase. Maybe use one on the side? But I've always gotten really thin, phasey results (even with 1 mic) that way.

+1 to that. There rly is nothing special as i recall...just get the two top mics in phase and you are set to go...

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

common technice.
I've experimented with an AT250DE (does the same thing), but didn't like it.
I'm LOVING a km184 taped to an sm57, but I don't like risking a km184 for snare.
I then went to using the m201 for top, it has some of the qualities of a 57 mixed with a condenser.

It's aso really interesting to mic the shell (instead of the bottom), gives a really nice CRACK to the sound.
I'm actually not a huge fan of the bottom mic...if you're not micing the side or using a consensor on top you'll need the bottom mic, but to me it's always a bit of a "lesser evil" thing. you need it in the mix to get your high end and get rid of the tubbyness, but just a bit too much and it sunds cheap.
also, if the snare-wires or bottom head aren't tuned perfectly you'll be in mixing hell.

I'm still using the 201 on top, sm57 on bottom for 90% of my projects, but I'm definitely not always loving it.

when I'm not using a bottom mic I'll sometimes pull the top mic further towards the rim of the snare...often even a bit outside of it (like 0.5 to 1 inch between rim and mic), that's a bit between the sounds of a side-mic and a regular top mic (which is sitting about an inch inside from the rim).
I'm sometimes doing that and still mic the bottom, but in those cases I find I don't need the bottom mic very much in the mic=win.

I do like a condenser on top (loved 184 and 414), but I don't trust ANY drummer to not hit it.
you should try an m201 pulled a bit further outside.

jens bogren also wrote here that he uses a side mic (at least on katatonia´s TGCD) for the snare. i will give this a try on my next production as well (micing the shell with a audio technica 4050).
personally i never felt the need of having a bottom snare mic. i often recorded it in my begining days and it always got kicked out in mixing.

I have tried something similar with really pleasing results. I placed a mic off to the hi hat side of the kit at equal hight to the snare drum facing directly at the middle of the side of the snare. This mic was equidistant to the snare as the OH so phase was no issue. It served more as a mono room mic but the over tone of the snare (and Kick) was amazing and really enhanced the natural sound and I found I needed far less close mic.
Cheers.

Heard that taping a AKG C451 to a SM57 is a pretty common technique for snares.

I'm the same as Lasse in that I often pull my top mic back to the rim, and sometimes throw a side mic on too. Spill on the side mic can be a bit of a problem though I find.

I've had good experiences with the M201. Used it on snare top and bottom on the last two drum tracking sessions. So +1 to Lasse's suggestion. As always for me the biggest battle is isolation of the damn hi-hats. Hate those things.

I've had good experiences with the M201. Used it on snare top and bottom on the last two drum tracking sessions. So +1 to Lasse's suggestion. As always for me the biggest battle is isolation of the damn hi-hats. Hate those things.

How do you go about isolating the high hat anyways? I've never learned to properly do that, and I often get super pissed off about it also, especially when I run the snare through a compressor.

How do you go about isolating the high hat anyways? I've never learned to properly do that, and I often get super pissed off about it also, especially when I run the snare through a compressor.

Knowing your mic's polar pattern so aim the null point towards the hats.

Get as much distance vertically and horizontally from your snare mic and your hats, the further you move those hats the less they'll creep in. Drummers don't like this though!

Some guys put a small gobo between the hats and snare to try isolate them in tracking.

Some guys also give the drummers TONS of hats in their phones when tracking so they'll hit it lighter.

Yeah, this seems to get much worse with condensers too. Which is why I normally stick to dynamics for all drum close mic'ing. Condensers sound great but the spill makes me:puke:

Im telling y ou guys.. Try a Audio Technica ATM450 on snare (and toms) It is pure awesomeness :) I also use my Peluso2247 LE like a close ambiance mic with great results, gives the snare a little bit more body

If you like the M201 try the Revox M3500. Same Beyer made mic rebranded but with more 4K due to a missing LCR filter. That with a 451 on top and a 441 underneath work a treat.
Leaning a didgeridoo against the snare and micing the bottom can give interesting results. More tock, making any snare sound more like a Brady Jarrah snare.

Leaning a didgeridoo against the snare and micing the bottom can give interesting results. More tock, making any snare sound more like a Brady Jarrah snare.

You could hire this guy!
Didgeridoo.jpg