Evaluate this setup for me bros (drums)

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
This is what I'm inclined to go with but if you have a better idea then have at me.

Mics:

Kick: Audix D6 (in) subkick (out)

Snare: 57 top, either senn 441 or KM184 or SM81... yeah not 100% on the bottom mic.

Toms: Depending on the drumer either 2 D2s and 1 D4 or all MD421

OH: KM84... if they have a pair, I think they have a pair. If not I know they have a pair of KM 184s.

Room: So many choices, but I'm thinking either Earthworks TC30k (pair) or Maybe thier soundelux elux 251 set to omni or a TLM67 set in omni. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with stereo room mics or not. I'll probably just audition those mics and see what works here.

Haha, so I guess I'm asking what I should go with on the bottom of the snare. I have some sm81s for spot micing the ride and hats. Sound good though? I just want to know if my micing plan is a good plan.

And I'm totally lost on what I should do for mic pres, I have these to choose from, I'm thinking neve for the rooms and the benchmark pre 420 on the overheads and spot cymbals, but not sure on anything else.:

8 Ampex 351 Tube Pre's
2 Audio Media Research VMP-2 (MOD)
2 Avalon 737SP
1 BAE 1073
1 Benchmark MIA 4x4 (4 Channels)
1 Benchmark Pre 420 (4 Channels)
2 Focusrite ISA 430 Producer pack
1 Manley Vox Box
1 Stereo Summit TPA 200B
1 TL Audio 2051 Monovalve
1 TC Electronic Stereo Gold Channel
1 Universal Audio 2610
2 Neve 1073

If you have balls, tape the km184 with sm57 on top :)
Other than that, you really have a lot of good gear to choose from. You can't go wrong (and anyway, the only real way to know what do you like the most would be shootouts, which I doubt you'll have time/meaning $$$ for).

Use the Earthwork for overheads! :D

Meh, that would work better for a rock band...

No Beyer 221's for top snare so you can put the 57 under it?

Use the Earthwork for overheads! :D

Meh, that would work better for a rock band...

No Beyer 221's for top snare so you can put the 57 under it?

I've got a beyer m88 classic, a 201, and a m500 available.

I've actually got a decent selection to work with for this. Just going with what I know.

I'm asking because I'm not mixing this, just tracking.

I've got a beyer m88 classic, a 201, and a m500 available.

I've actually got a decent selection to work with for this. Just going with what I know.

I'm asking because I'm not mixing this, just tracking.

Yeah, 201 not 221 *facepalm*. Damn microphones having numbers for names :lol: I've heard naught but amazing things about the 201 for a top snare mic. Better hi-hat canceling, smaller and less likely to get thwacked. 201 top, SM57 on the bottom.

I'm not 100% sure if it's on kick or snare but Taylor Larson who records drums for Travis Orbin and who's currently recording Periphery's new album uses the BAE 1073 ..not sureif its kick or snare ..but it sounds killer!and IMO and if you like to get some nice ring / harmonics in your snare use the UA 2610! tried it with a 57 on 6.5 x 14 pork pie brass snare and it sounded amazing!