Snowy Shaw joins Dimmu and quits the next day...to rejoin Therion?

I'm not sure what's funnier... this story, the new Dimmu song or the new Dimmu look...

Dimmu+Borgir.png

Dimmu Borgir is the typical band that went from being one of the top names in a style, a band with killer music and production into something laughable.

How the mighty have fallen....

I can't say I blame you. Anyone who doesn't enjoy the orchestrations on the song Progenies of a Great Apocalypse is insane. That intro still gives me shivers.

Eh yeah I'll admit to enjoying that song. That's the track the introduced me to Immortal back when I was just a metal n00b.

These guys must be a bitch to work with I'm thinking. For them to get rid of the other two, Snowy Shaw quits. Something isn't right. That picture is just what Cowboys said though. It looks like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean. I love Dimmu, but I'm very suspicious how the new album will be.

So the single is no good? Any idea if it will be issued anywhere eles besides iTunes?
Yeah, the picture looks crappy - but didn't we have a discussion about judging a book by its cover? Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like. Have they gone in a completely different direction or something? I didn't think the last few were bad, but PEM crushed.

So the single is no good? Any idea if it will be issued anywhere eles besides iTunes?
Yeah, the picture looks crappy - but didn't we have a discussion about judging a book by its cover? Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like. Have they gone in a completely different direction or something? I didn't think the last few were bad, but PEM crushed.

We're not judging the book by the cover, because that's not the album cover - it's simply a promo picture. We're making fun of it because it looks ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened over a decade ago.
I'd disagree... slightly. I know many hardcore Black Metal fans feel Dimmu lost it after Stormblast. However, I rather enjoyed both Spiritual Black Dimensions and and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Even Death Cult Armageddon was quality music. Granted, it wasn't Black Metal, but it was at least an intruiging blend of Blackened (not in a Cajun sense) Power Metal.

We're not judging the book by the cover, because that's not the album cover...
Exactly, the song is awful. The evil kid vocals are just silly. Add in the band instability, a new image that suggests they want nothing to do with 90% of their fan base and an album title that is just laughable, and you have the makings of a disaster of epic proportions.

Eh, any genre that is so image driven will go through this.

I know not a soul here will agree since bands of the genre are now cool in the PP scene, but you will be having these discussions about many pagan / viking metal bands within 10 years or less.